I am afraid to say I am done with Linux...

iceyintel

Sorry, but honest truth.Just yesterday removed linux and let vista have whole drive.It just seems like sorry this os is more trouble than its worth.I tried hard to like linux.Mandriva i could say was really the only serious os, ubuntu and gOS and all that stuff just seem like hobby oses.Fedora could be like mandriva if it wasn't so friken annoying.I don't remember giving SuSe a full chance but i don't see the point anymore.Mandriva 2008 Spring was 1 great distro, i loved it i was tempted to removing windows and be happy with cedega.When 2009 came, KDE4 just...its not that i got any system freezes or anything...its just difficult, i don't know if many of the issues were 2009 or KDE itself (because kubuntu pretty much self destroyed itself after 10 minutes of using) its like... my fullscreen issues.... http://forum.kde.org/showthread.php?tid=9644 only i find that ctrl alt backspace was the cause after a thousand reinstalls.KDE4 was a beautiful environment and very innovative and i loved and wanted it to work so bad, but it just has too many problems.I try gnome in mandriva then find http://forum.kde.org/showthread.php?tid=10617 and then another reinstall, but then i tried Ubuntu and gOS, they were great for a few days, but i felt the "hobby" feeling shorty after and no seriousness.Fedora next, and this was one hell with the over zealotic opensource wackos (Sorry, not including the property drivers in the repos or no manager to get them whatso ever is not freedom, they are making you use crappy drivers and want it to be painful if you want to use branded drivers) and the codecs for media was hell, i got a window saying i can buy codecs for my music for 28 euros!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?

Anyways, enough of that bc, i went back to mandriva again, but i try put kde 3, but then find a major mess.The window issues appear again, had to download a stupid plugin to fix that, and then find all programs in a mess, too many problems and conflicts, it was hell.Then i try again going back to 2008.1 doing a URMPI install upgrade to 2009.Find the window bordering issues again!!!!!!!!!!!

I still see mandriva as a serious distro, but i hate gnome, its not realistic and its fake, kde3 is just a hassle to go back to, KDE4 fullscreen issues and then the side of the window bordering conflicts.I see little light of sunshine in mandriva like it runs wmv music out of the box after i went through the pleasant and easy to use migration wizard.But when i play WoW, the stupid panel in the way is soo friken annoying.Plus KDE 4 has a lot of unstable software, like amarok is still a beta, was APLPA in 4.0.It lacks many featues are 1x and the interface and eye candy can use more polish.

trust me, vista is no an angel, just yesterday playing a game i noticed my whole system froze, sound repeating broken tunes, and then ctrl alt delete didnt work , and 30 secs later computer reboots!!!!!

But, i will take the horror that will run my programs over the angel that tries to do better, but just has to fight other factors.And not inluding a printer program and a cd burner out of the box were big opps at the mandriva team.

I am still open to going back, if fullscreen issues go away, or i find another distro that is serious, then im back on linux tracks.But for now ill stick with "this unidentified program (which i ran only 1k times) wants to run on your system, cancel or allow" :P "Windows internet explorer cannot display this page"

Edited by iceyintel

Fedora next, and this was one hell with the over zealotic opensource wackos (Sorry, not including the property drivers in the repos or no manager to get them whatso ever is not freedom, they are making you use crappy drivers and want it to be painful if you want to use branded drivers) and the codecs for media was hell, i got a window saying i can buy codecs for my music for 28 euros!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?

You do realise that Fedora is sponsored and managed by Red Hat? A company operating in the US and bound by US law and protecting itself from litigation against patent infringement (I believe that once upon a time, Microsoft got stung for a patent infringement on an audio codec?). The situation is a little bit more complicated than opensource zealotry, yes they tout being open as a good thing, but they do not stop you from installing proprietary software on their distribution.

i dont know it was just that fedora was not practical to me, there was no migration wizard, nothing to help you get properity drivers, and they arn't in the repos.Media codecs were pathetic, i know the US laws and crap are restricting, but what a gstreamer promt and ask if you will want to install it like ubuntu.I tried installing gstreamer from repos but i only got AAC but not wmv, and then half my AAC songs didn't work.

i guess when opensuse 11.1 comes out i will give it a fair chance, but i might somehow run into fullscreen issues again since its KDE4.

Edited by iceyintel

On the one hand, it is a pity that your Linux experience was peppered with "obstacles" that made you decide to run Vista. On the other hand, I do think that your frustration is caused by yourself. You had a perfectly working operating system with Mdv 2008.1, as you say. Nobody forced you to change, alter or upgrade the system. Never change a winning team.... well ... almost never. :)

Sure, Linux has its problems and for many people, KDE 4 is not ready for serious usage. Then, some people don't like Gnome. Okay. There are still a ton of other desktop-environments and window-managers available. I doubt that you gave all of them a chance (neither did I). :P Taking a break now and taking a look at Mdv now and then (in order to find out when KDE is "usable" again for you) might be an option that you might perhaps consider. While the KDE developers are doing their best, they cannot please everyone and fix everything immediately. Remember how long it took to develop Vista. Creating something new is a huge task and problems will arise. Vista has its share of problems. So just choose the system that will cause the least amount of problems for you. Nobody wants to force you to use Linux. Nobody will be upset, if you realise that Vista is right now better suited to your way of computing (btw: Linux is - by default - less of a gaming machine that a rock-stable, enterprise-ready operating-system for office-work).

A word about Fedora: Fedora is neither as simple as Mandriva, nor is it designed to be a second Mandy. Fedora is way more experimental (=bleeding edge) than Mandriva and (IMHO) geared towards experienced/veteran Linux users rather than people that have used Linux for maybe 6 to 12 months. Fedora-users are expected to know some basics about how Linux works. (no offence intended) :)

Good luck with Vista - and take a look at Linux now and then (even if it's only for the sheer fun of it).

Media codecs were pathetic, i know the US laws and crap are restricting, ... but i only got AAC but not wmv, and then half my AAC songs didn't work.
Might I suggest that your choice of media encoding may be responsible for some of your difficulties ? (there's a reason for the "w" in wmv you know!) Maybe you wouldn't have to put up with quite so much "laws and crap" with other formats? And perhaps your choice of KDE4 was a bit too adventurous, and you'd have been happier with 2009.0 and KDE3 ? Just a couple of ideas.

On the other hand, if you're still having system seizures then maybe you have hardware problems? Overheating maybe?

Whatever works for you, if you like playing windows games and listening to your wmvs then Windows is probably best for you. At least for now! ;)

PS/ No CD burner with Mandriva? Sounds unlikely, I thought K3b was always on the One CD...

Well is there a program that can convert my AAC to .OGG (most important!And gstreamer sorta fails on this, or when i open some of them it will say "enycrated (something like that) or corrupt(for example. onerepublic won't work, but coldplay will, when it all plays perfectly fine in itunes!And then i have some music in wmv.Please, i don't want to waste a thousand cds if thats the only answer.All my new music comes from itunes

And does mandy 2008.1 still receive updates?or is all focus now on 2009 and cooker?

How to convert aac to ogg:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...earch&meta=

first link in the search results looks OK to me.

How to convert wmv to ogg:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

or google any format you want to convert from and to.

Refusing to buy music with digital rights management seems more appropriate to me.
That's why I found the allofmp3 service so great, and why I've yet to buy anything from itunes. With allofmp3 you could play it on any computer (not just the ones you've registered with "them"), play it on any mp3 player (not just the ones from one manufacturer), listen to them with any OS (not just the ones they approve) and not worrying about losing the music you've paid for.

Sadly they were taken down and there still isn't a good alternative. Maybe buying the DRM-free tracks from itunes is a possibility but they don't make that software for my platform so I can't buy it.

How to convert aac to ogg:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...earch&meta=

first link in the search results looks OK to me.

How to convert wmv to ogg:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

or google any format you want to convert from and to.

thanks dude, ill try that when i try my next linux, looking around see what looks good to me, and looking at E17 too.

It does.

*pulls out 2008 spring cd*

Edited by iceyintel

.... And perhaps your choice of KDE4 was a bit too adventurous, and you'd have been happier with 2009.0 and KDE3 ?

Unfortunately KDE3s configuration is horribly broken in dozens of small ways in 2009.0, and it is almost as unusable as KDE4.

Perhaps moreso, I gave up on it after ~ 30 min of trying to fix it manually.

You cannot even change the default program from the "open with" dialog anymore, and you can no longer add arguments-- The parser is broken still. Dolphin is nearly useless...

I'm still trying to get the hang of KDE4 on my main box, as it works mostly on a dual core Athlon w/4G of memory, but on slower hardware, forget it.

The only reason I'm still running it is for the latest versions of a few programs, and the expectation it will be fixed (soon) by some magic updates.

I ran cooker for a year or so at one point, ran updates on a cron job, worked great... 2009.0? not so much.

I just had to install a KNOPPIX CD on an old bit of kit here for a strange reason I won't go into... usually gets borked running updates, but worked fine for some reason... 2009.0 will install fine on same setup, but is so insanely slow by comparison it is rediculous....it was gruesome in 2009.0 even w/icewm, and flew running Debian w/KDE3.

Edited by waferhead