kernel source

You certainly don't need to recompile the kernel.

You need to install just the kernel headers, namely kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm

For VMware 6.5 you won't need something more, while for older VMWare versions you will need the latest "any-any" patch from Petr Vandrovec.

Still better, first update your running kernel, install the corresponding kernel headers, reboot using that one as default and only then install vmware.

Edited by scarecrow

thanks much :)

whoops hold on, I installed the packages but VMware is giving me the following errors

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is a kernel header file directory, but it

does not contain the file "linux/version.h" as expected. This can happen if

the kernel has never been built, or if you have invoked the "make mrproper"

command in your kernel directory. In any case, you may want to rebuild your

kernel.

is this a kernel source problem?

Edited by linux_trojan

You will need Petr's "any-any" patch, else it won't compile.

You need to install just the kernel headers, namely kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm

He's using kernel-desktop586 and so needs kernel-desktop586-devel.

The any-any patch should not be needed. At least I didn't need it.

Jim

Jim, I thought I installed both source packages, but I must have been mistaken. Can you tell me the exact name of the source package I need?

This is what I get from uname -a

$ uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb #1 SMP Thu Oct 2 05:52:21 EDT 2008i686 Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9500 @ 2.60GHz GNU/Linux

Edited by linux_trojan

@ Ianw1974: AFAIK the vsock module wasn't cleanly building without the any-any patch on 2.6.27.X kernels, but I don't know the real reason. For the other modules, there were no issues.

Anyway, it wouldn't harm to use it. If no source patching is needed, then the runme script will just bypass patching and start vmware-config.pl

EDIT: just found the related thread- it applies both for server 2 and ws 6.5, although not all 2.6.27.X kernels are affected:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/173640

Edited by scarecrow

Can you tell me the exact name of the source package I need?

As already recommended, you should update to the latest kernel. (Make sure that you have kernel-desktop586-latest installed.) Then install kernel-desktop586-devel-latest. This way both your kernel and sources will be automatically updated in future, in tandem.

If you want to keep your existing kernel, then, I think that the source package you would need would be kernel-desktop586-devel-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm

Jim