Dual-Boot Mandriva and Windows 2000

Guest FireFreek

Guest FireFreek

So here's the situation: I'm going to dual-boot Mandriva and Win2k. My computer has 256MB RAM, 800MHz Intel Celeron processor, and a 40 GB hard drive. I want to resize the current Win2k partition, and add 3 others(\,home,swap) as that was what I had been suggested most often. I've defragmented my hard drive. I'm downloading the Mandriva One 2009 GNOME iso as we speak.

What would be the appropriate way to dual-boot Mandriva and win2k? I haven't found any guides about dual-boot for mandriva.

Hey FireFreek I think your RAM is pretty low for Mandriva 2009.0 ONE and yes I am also a user of Mandriva 2009 ONE though KDE but Mandriva 2008.1 spring is much better and stable than this edition. As the major disadvantage of 2009 ONE is it does not have printer support.

Ok here is how to install it:-(there may be other ways but I prefer this one)

Step 1: Install Windows on the primary drive let us consider C:

Step 2: Boot with Mandriva 2009 ONE cd and click on the install

follow the steps they are quite easy for a newbie also.

Step 3: When it will show a screen for boot loader it asks you where to load the boot loader there you have to state MBR(option will be present just select it)

As a windows user you might be knowing that windpws keeps its boot information in MBR(Master Boot Record). And then the main part is over Rest you can do.

If you want help in Partitioning then ask I will help you out.

Here's my two cents..

256 MB & 800 MHz Celeron processor is perhaps too little to run any KDE or Gnome desktops. I would recommend installing XFCE4 or IceWM window managers. I'm using XFCE4 in my _very old_ HW (256MB RAM, Pentium II 400 MHz processor, ATI 9200 PCI graphics controller - more here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=43498). I would not install KDE or Gnome anymore on that.

I installed 2009.0 without KDE or Gnome. It installed IceWM and later I installed XFCE (I couldn't find XFCE for an installation during initial installation).

Guest FireFreek

Well, it seemed to be running well in Live CD mode(although I turned on Compiz Fusion to see if it would work, and i wasn't able to find the top bar of the window to move the window). While the programs did load slow, I'm assuming that it would work somewhat well(as long as I don't use memory intensive programs) when installed. And also GNOME is the less memory/CPU intensive than KDE right? And until I get my wireless adapter working, i'm stuck with it.

Speaking of my wireless adapter, anyone know how to get a WG111v2 to work in Mandriva? Being new to Linux, i'm not entirely sure how to deal with network configurations. I tried messing around with the wireless settings, and it seemed to detect the hardware, but could not use it. I looked it up once on the Ubuntu forums, and there they had something to do with ndiswrapper, so i'm assuming i'll have to go through the same tiring process?

(if it helps, the network is MAC filtered, but that shouldn't be a problem, seeing it's the same adapter. Also, it has no encryption key)