Run Command Options in KDE Menu Editor

skyhawk

I have a simple question pertaining to the meaning of some specific run command options that I see when looking at menu items listed in the KDE Menu Editor. The options I list below were automatically added when packages were installed.

amarok %U

kmix -caption "%c" %i %m

easytag %F

"%U" is the most common option added automatically. I have "Googled" for answers without success. So, if anyone can enlighten me, please do so.

I am running Mandriva 2007.0, KDE 3.53.

good question so i went looking heres one reply:

The understanding of this is a bit complicate, the %% keys only get interpreted by the desktop (Gnome, KDE...) it defines certain arguments which can be processed by the application.

Use case for %u:

You click a music file in your desktop's file manager. The file manager know that Amarok can play the music file because it hopefully is listed as the supported files in the amarok.desktop file. Now the file manger just starts Amarok and passes the file URL because of the %u right away.

If you do the same thing with more than one file, the %u prevents the file manager from executing Amarok with a whole list of files but instead it passes file by file as argument.

So the exec keys basically just tell the desktop what kind of argument the application can process. If Amarok couldn't stream directly from HTTP we would use %f because this would make the file manager download the HTTP file (i.e. store it locally somewhere) and then pass the local file to Amarok (/tmp/cache/file.mp3 vs. http://localhost.com/file.mp3).

...I really don't know what the %s option is supposed to do, it might be something GNOME specific.

it looks like it MAY be a KDE command not an amarok command