Why do _YOU_ use linux?

HJ

Why do _YOU_ use linux?

Because it's stable, the way I use a computer it has to be.

You may have noticed I like makin my computer look good, or at least my desktop. I got sick of windows, i couldn't make it look any better, check out my current linux desktop: http://www.iphitus.tk

I can totally configure Linux. It does anythin I want. (Except Games, my computer is too slow)

I'm curious, I want to know how things work. Linux has been great. I've even learnt stuff about Windex. I wanted to see this linux thing, is it any good? That's an obvious answer.I just wanted to know about it.

I'm Different, i don't know anyone at all like me, (or anyone crazy enough to be like me)

I don't care what people think (ok except some of the girls), I'm individual, I don't follow everyone else.

Ialso like the idea, the concept, Open Source

What interests _YOU_ about linux?

Configurability, Looks, Stability, customizability,customizability,customizability,

Power, Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Why do _YOU_ use linux?

Why don't _YOU_ use a Microsoft, Mac, or other OS's (including *BSD, etc.)?

What made _YOU_ start using linux?

I don't use Microsoft because I am sick of crashes, Windows 98 couldn't handle me, it's always unstable when I use it. Linux has never crashed, and once I found the right programs, they rarely crashed. Besides, i used OOo, Mozilla, Moz Mail, alternates.

Mac? I would never use a computer running OS <9 I had them at school, almost as unstable as windows, nowhere near as configurable. Also I don't have the money. Never have.

BSD, never really considered it. I thought it was dead. I had barely heard of it. Now? Still know nothin about it. I'm too comfortable with linux

I had to reformat, Windows crashed if I so much as sneezed!

I had discs sitting there (Redmond, Peanut, Mandy 8.2) given to me a while ago. I had been wanting t install for a while, the anticipation had been building up for over half a year

James

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frustrated by using OS that can blow up at any time I was wondering what's all this fuss about Linux, so I tried it. I liked some things, disliked others, but it was a challenge that I accepted and started trying various distributions.

I migrated to Linux when I started developing in PHP.

Now I feel comfortable using it because it doesn't get in my way. I don't want to be a hostage of a software I 'm using ever again.

Why? Freedom to play, hack, change, configure and learn.

What interest me? Everything

Why don't I use MS, Mac or other OS? Actually, I tried BeOS, DR-DOS & FreeDOS, and FreeBSD as well as MS WWG3.11, Win95/98/ME. I don't use them because Mandrake Linux meets my needs better for less money.

What made me start using Linux? Curiosity and a RedHat 5.2 boxed set on a discount table at Crowne Books. I just 'played around' with Linux until Mandrake 7.0, the first truly usable distro that I installed.

In summer 1998, my studies at University ended.

My old Atari somehow detected this and decided to die. It must have thought that now I wouldn't need it anymore, so it commited suicide :(

After 10 months of "mandatory army" (don't know how to call it) and a happy mariage, my wife and I decided we needed a computer to replace the Atari.

We were (and still are :?:) young, we had little money, and absolutely wanted to remain in legality. So we found out that :

- the cheapest solution was to build the computer myself (can't be done for MacOS),

- the Windows OS was (and still is :twisted:) way out of reach: it costed too much!

During army, I read lots of magazines, and Linux was talked about, especially RedHat. So in my first month of work (in a town I did not knew at all), I went to the first shop I found, and asked for RedHat. They gave me Mandrake (6.1). I did not even noticed, but one day, I'll have to go back to this city and thank this guy :-)

Why do _YOU_ use linux?
After I got Linux to work, I found that it did all I needed: StarOffice 5.1 (just newly bought by Sun) and Netscape at that time. All else was extra.
It's top cOOl !!! :P

Yves.

Why do _YOU_ use linux?

Because it is the future ! Because it is free ! Because i don't have to worry about pirating software. M$-User's watch out ... Paladium will come ;)

Stability, Security and the option to configure an OS 100% for me and my needs.

Oh, i still use (have to) ... even got 2 licenses but it's just because i need it for work

While ago i had a discussion with the administrator at work and i just asked him : "Which OS do you use at home" ? He answers : "Linux"! Then i asked him :"Oh ... i know this ... Does it really work"? He laughed and at the next day, he gave me a copy of RedHat Linux and he said : "Put this one onto your harddrive and you will never ask for anything else"!

I did like he said and i was amazed. I learned to love linux and some month later i discovered Mandrake Linux which i am using as prefered OS.

MANDRAKE LINUX RULEZ :wink:

Greetzzz

Hmmm, I can still remember why I looked around, yes, I come from win98Se.

I read that ms.com got hacked and if my fumbling brain remembers the timing it was b4 XP was released, work on any inference you care.

I don't hate MS, their EULA stinks but they are trying to be so user friendly the codes get long and it takes effort to debug.

Umm, in case you have not noticed, Gnu/Linux has a heap of ways of installing software so I will not be gushing that its the best desktop platform.

IT IS THE BEST FOR THE NET tho, why anyone who has read of ms worms continues to stay with ms - its a joke.

But me squealing on security issues to govts and big companies won't make a difference.

I posted a message to my large public service boss and received a polite WE R looking into it reply.

MDK and Linux will not be the sweethearts of the all the platforms until MS tries to emulate one of our programs (files) and I don't mean a windows port of a GPL application.

end of rant

Why? I think what pushed me over the edge was the increasingly invasive and oppressive character of MS OSes starting with XP(product activation, phoning home, crazy provisions in the EULA, etc) and then there was palladium and "trusted computing" on the horizon. Didn't want someone else controlling my computer to the extent MS had planned.

Why do _YOU_ use linux?

I wanted ADSL at work and feared to let it connected all day long with M$ Win in charge.

At the beginning we stayed with a rtc connection and I started to play with Red Hat Linux at home. I was not so satisfied as I thought each time you want to configure or install something it's so long compared to M$ Win.

I must admit that I have no much spare time and I don't like much putting my hands in the grease any more.

But I learned a lot.

After I tryed Mandrake 8.2 and everything was fine: I can do everything I want fast and easily.

I've set our server as soon I've tested Mandrake 9.1 and all is going the way I want.

- NO SPYWARE ( I HATE spyware)

- Once installed and configured it does not change by itself and stay the way you want indefinitely

- Better control,

- Cheap,

- No virus althought I'm sure when Linux will be widely used some will appear

- Breaks M$ Monopoly. Monopoly is not good.

I can't say I hate M$. Nobody gave them there monoply: they got it by there flair, they understand very well what Mr Jo and his Mum want. But they are not going to comit suicide and say themself that monopoly is bad. So that is the competitor ( or the law but no need here IMO ) who have to break this monopoly. And Linux is by far the best chance for that. I'm sure that It will soon lift off on the desktop.

Still use M$ OS at work: The server is Mandrake 9.1 but the clients are all Win 98SE. I'm not sure we'll ever try a XP

roland

Why do I use Linux?

Well, it all started off when I was 16 in my 3rd year of C++ programming in High School. I didnt have enough money to buy MS Visual C++ 5. I heard that Red Hat had a C/C++ compiler. I tried Red Hat 5.2, liked it, but my code wasnt compatable with MS Visual C++ (damn you M$). When I came to LSU a year later (my birthday is in October) I was taking computer science classes. LSU required that we write standard C for Sun UNIX machine. This time I bought Mandrake 7.2 and loved every minute of it. I've been using mandrake and Red Hat ever since. I still program in my free time, but havent really written any useful programs outside of classes. Linux does everything I need it to, and I can still play games. one of my favorite things to do is tinker with stuff. I find it a challenge to get Win9X games to play in Linux and enjoy trying to get them to work, to me it is like a game. Another reason why I use linux is that I work with MS WinXP machines at LSU all the time (I work for the Office of Computer Services) and I know whats wrong with them, how much they screw up, and tried of fixing all of their problems. So when I get home I dont want to deal with that type of stuff. I would have a Mac G5 (my family has a history of owning Mac's, my father bought only one Intel Pentium computer). I guess my final reason is that I enserally oppose DRM, TCAP, and other forms of laws and legislation. I am holding my own personal boycott to the RIAA (if I want one of their unusually good CDs, I buy it used), and Windows (convinced my sister to buy a Mac...she wanted a Dell (because all her firends have Dells) until she played with the new iMac) who support legislation like this. I guess the reason why I use linux is because it does what I want it to do an come hell or high water will I give it up.

What interests me about Linux:

It's a robust programming OS that is very stable and reliable, not to mention secure.

Why dont I use a differnt OS:

I cant afford a Mac G5, and I use Windows all day at work. I Absolutly hate using Windows

What made me start using Windows:

I needed something I could program on without paying out of my ass for MS Visual C++

Why do I use Linux?

I know more about it than I do Windows. I enjoy trying different distros....source based, RPM base. I don't mind screwing it all up because I can do it all over again. I like tweaking it just so. I like the forums. I like reading up on new packages and downloading them and trying to get them to work. It all sounds silly to some....maybe most. But I can call Linux a hobby and you can't with Windows. And the openess of it all makes it so fresh and new....there's always something new to try, isn't there? I use it because I enjoy it.

I use GNU/Linux because when I was young, I had a Norton 850 Commando motorbike, and I spent more time repairing it than riding it. From this glorious time, I've kept a strong desire to know what's "under the hood".

More seriously, what's important to me is the ethic behind free software. Could be Hurd or BSD, I don't really care too much. What's important is to share, and understand what you"re doing.

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived in Columbus, Ohio at the cnetral YMCA, I was in City Center Mall, at Software Boutique (I got to like that place), and saw this strange OS called Redhat Linux (1998). That got my curiosity aroused: Something other than Windows and Mac? Now, I did not rush and buy it. I got home and fired up my CTX EZBook 700E, logged onto the internet, and did a search. I found linux.org (I think that's it), and started doing some research.

At that time, it was a royal pain to install, and worse to configure. So, I put off getting a copy. In 2000, after I had moved to Mansfield, Ohio, and on another ISP, I went back to that website, and did some more research. Now things are getting interesting: Mandrake is the easiest to install and configure, and has the best hardware support. Hmmmm...... I ended up getting Mandrake 7.2 Powerpack Edition for my very first copy of Linux. Sure it had lots of issues. The dream come true, came in the form of Mandrake 8.2 Powerpack, and I never looked back.

Oh, I still use win98se for some games, and win4lin for other things.

When M$ introduced the infamous WPA and the Draconian EULA, I swore an oath to never go beyond 98se for an MS OS and that Linux would be my OS of choice henceforth.

Now with the ever growing number of windows viruses and worms, I am planning to dump my win98se native boot for my connected PC.

Now I can't be M$ free, as I have some windows only apps that I like. So win4lin will handle those for me.

Why do I use Linux? I like it. It is more secure than Windows, and certainly immune to all of those pesky Windows Viruses and Worms (some say Windows itself is a virus).

To be free of windows native boot. I am getting there. :D