Looks like we've got competition

mtweidmann

just my 2 cents..........

as has been said above, it's great that to see more MDK specific help out there. but, back in the infancy of my NOObieness, when i was searching & Googling for help & answers to things, i lurked for a while at the LinuxQuestions site & here. the main thing that made me sign up here was that the responses to people's questions were always polite & generally more helpful. the people here always seemed to really care & want to help others out. at LinuxQuestions, it seemed (& still does.......just read through the threads) that for every polite & usable answer to a question, there were half a dozen RTFM's, or various other smart ass comments, basically telling people that they're morons for not being able to figure something out. not trying to start a battle here, but that's just my obseravtion. i'm glad i chose this forum & i really appreciate all the people here that have helped me out with things & i am grateful that this forum exists. and, i'm glad that i can actually contribute some answers & solutions on occassion. you guys (& girls) really helped me through the beginings of my learning curve. without the kind help i received here, i'm possitve that i'd have given up on Linux & still be in Window$ exclusively. so, a big thanks to all here. great site, great people, hope it always stays that way!

Chris

I agree with chris' observations. We have attempted to maintain a truely open and inviting board. That is the correct course. Interaction on the board is a part of the linux experience. RTFM implies that a person is "outside" and does not qualify to be "inside". There are plenty of sights like that! Our's is not. In my opinion, our model will eventually be the successful model for a linux help desk, rather than the old geek-guru model of "don't bother me, I'm busy being brilliant!!" (Judging from the IQ test thread, we have plenty of intelligent people here who are not too busy to be people! :wink: )

I also agree with Chris, the people on this board are the nicest most helpful people. I've only actually posted one question here but it was answered really well, and quickly. I also like that this board doesn't get itself so bogged down with topics that just provoke fights like I've seen on another Linux board such as politic bashing and women in the tech industry. The faq section has been invaluable to me and to the few people I've told about it on other boards.