KDE session error [solved]

Mr Pockets151

When I try to log in to my KDE default session I get this error

No Exec line in the session file: 01KDE. Running the GNOME failsafe session instead.
This happened after I was mucking around with the splashscreen settings and bootsplash images. I think? Another forum told me that unless I know what I changed I'm screwed. Does anyone know how I can fix this. With re-formatting. It just takes way to long to go through that process.

What ever the default is. X i believe.

X isn't a login manager, or a desktop environment. Factly, it's nothing in particular.

Sorry I won't bother about your problem anymore. If you don't care giving proper hints, then why should I care giving proper answers?

I hope someone else will be able to help you.

Edited by scarecrow

Easy tiger. That was a total misunderstanding there. When you asked me what login manager I was using, I had no idea. What I did was a google search for "mandriva login manager" and got something about "Starting X". So that's what I thought it was called "X". I'm using whatever login manager Mandriva uses when you install it. I'm totally new at this obviously. For whatever reason you don't want to give me input/advice that's fine. Don't post. I'm trying to learn what happened as to understand what's going on.

DETAILS:

MAndriva 2009.0 GNOME desktop

I installed task-kde 3 and everything went fine.

Went to MCC and chose KDE as session

Logged in using kde as my default. Loaded fine.

Then I started mucking around with desktop settings, splashscreens and task bar properties.

I lost my taskbar for a minute, so I had to reboot and was able to recover that.

Then finally on the last login(after logging in several times because of the "have to logout for settings to take effect)I finally got the error.

THINGS I'VE TRIED

In Gnome I opened up kcontrol and tried resetting everything to default: still got error

In Gnome tried to uninstall KDE and then reinstalled KDE: still got error.

That's it so far.

Edited by Mr Pockets151

If you go into your home folder (in gnome), select the option to show hidden files, look for a .kde folder. Delete it, log out and then try logging into KDE again. Deleting this folder will remove any customisation you have made to your KDE desktop so, you will have to re-do them again.

You don't have to re-format to reinstall. Unless your computer is super slow, it's normally a quick process.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

lol...I guess I should be more clear in general. I mean slow in regards to installing the OS(actually that only takes about 15 min), but all the packages I have installed and what not. Then the updates, which will be more than 100 now. :P

I delete the .kde folder and still no luck. I think I'm just going to reinstall. It's the easiest way.

UPDATE::Well I delete the .kde4 folder along with .dmrc. And one of those did the trick. Thanks all for the support.