Netconf

paul459

I am still a newbie to Linux - although much farther along than I was a month ago.

I am finishing a setup Mandriva spring 2008 on a Dell Latitude D400 notebook. The only outstanding item is creating a dialup data connection for my Globalstar satellite phone, which plugs into the serial port.

In the Globalstar manual, it says to use Netconf to configure the PPP connection. It gives detailed step by step instructions with graphics that make it look easy.

The problem is that I can't find Netconf anywhere on my system, and it's not in the list of installable packages either.

Also, the instructions say I need to know the location of my serial port (com1 in Windows), but it doesn't give any instructions for finding this out. So even if I could get into Netconf, I'd still be stuck.

Finally, I read somewhere (so many posts read today that I can't remember which ones) that Mandriva doesn't use Netconf, and switched to MCC. Also read that Netconf was replaced by Linuxconf, but I can't find that either.

I looked in MCC and couldn't find anything that seemed like it would let me configure a PPP connection. Configure network seemed like a good place to look, but nothing leads to PPP in there. I also read somewhere that Netconf/LinuxConf and MCC are incompatible. I don't want to install Netconf if it will damage MCC and my Linux install that I've spent a lot of time setting up. I have a remaster, but would like to avoid having to use it.

Any suggestions on where to get Netconf (or LinuxConf) and how to figure out the address of my serial port? Or how else to configure the connection (like in MCC for example)? Any help will be much appreciated.

P

Edited by paul459