Okay, time for you to do your part against SCO

DOlson

Speaking about people doing their part to combat SCO, apparently some hackers have decided to launch a DoS attack on SCO this weekend. Eric Raymond has asked that the DoS attack, if comming from Linux supporters, stops immediately. Such a tactic can only serve to discredit the Linux community.

Instead we should help analyze and gather facts to help incriminate SCO using their own words. Things like this FTC complaint thing can help too. But please spread the word to those inclined to take the law into their own hands,... DON'T. Let SCO get beat by the system they are abusing.

Guest fubar::chi

from my compalint form:

Explain Your Problem: (Please limit your complaint to 2000 characters.):

The problem is that the SCO Group is attempting to extort money from businesses and individuals using the linux operating system as shown on this website http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxlicense.html

This is after SCO launched a lawsuit after IBM claiming that they stole their intellectual property. Their suit hasn't been to court and no decision whatsoever has been made in their favor yet they are making attempts to collect money from linux users such as myself and business which use linux.

It has also come to my attention that SCO has no plans to refund their licensees if they lose their court case (which they most assuredly will). The reason they have no claim to any code in the linux operating system is because they themselves released a linux based operating system (which I bought) under a previous incarnation of their business known as Caldera.

They haven't contacted me directly but indirectly by way of their webpage which I listed above. They have however damaged a business venture (selling linux based computer systems) which I was about to get into with there unfounded allegations. Now I'll have to wait for the courts to prove them wrong and in the process lose thousands of dollars in revenue.

Through a wide spread Internet led campaign the company have been seeking payment from private individuals claiming a breach of their copyright of the UNIX code. They infer strongly that unless users pay this amount to indemnify themselves they will be chased legally once the issue is settled.

I would point out that I have not purchased any product nor made contact with SCO. I use several different varieties of Linux, none of which has to my knowledge attempted to make any purchase from SCO in terms of licensing.

In fact the code which is currently disputed has been available publically on the internet for many years. Indeed their a prior knowledge of the source code has allowed development of UNIX® (registered trade mark of The Open Group) to continue and many new users to make large financial investements based on this.

The cost of me switching to another OS would be prohibitive. SCO have allowed this to continue and regardless of the outcome of the present claims and counter claims this retrospective demand for payment amounts to extortion.

As far as I am aware this issue is very complex and in no way can SCO predict the legal outcome of the several claims and counter claims it is currently persuing.

I view this as a method of extorting the money under threat. SCO does not indicate what will happen if it looses the case nor offer to pay back my indemnity, nor would SCO be in a financial position to do this if unsuccessful.

Very interesting indeed. I guess this is their attempt to put the FTC on the back burner rather than have to fight a battle on more than two fronts (currently IBM & RedHat).

If SCO indeed is backpedalling, it looks more and more like Microsoft everyday.

Well, I think we all know who is really behind SCO's actions, don't we? I mean, it's plainly obvious. My guess is that Microsoft saw a dying company and decided to put this whole plan into action, and I bet Darl and co. get a pretty nice paycheck from Billy boy when this is all over.

Actually, I think M$'s involvement is purely coincidental. They just saw someone else attacking Linux for a change and put some of their $$$ behind it.

I think if you research the Canopy Group, you'll see that this is typical for them in terms of their actions. This time I think they just picked a fish which was way to big to fit into the frying pan. In fact they thought it was a sardine and it turned out to be a Bull Shark... still alive,... and angry that it's tail was being pulled.

I agree with dolson. Microsoft stands the greatest to lose with the success of open source software, and linux specifically. But, they want to maintain their pr, so they can't do a frontal assult like they would like. They can't buy anyone out like they would like. So, schemes schemes schemes. And the effect of the lwasuit is to cast a shadow on linux, which it has done. None of this is a coincidence.