Okay, time for you to do your part against SCO

DOlson

Please read this and take it seriously. It was on Slashdot's comments section.

If anyone does this, please post here. I'd do it too if I was American. If anyone can confirm what Canadians should do, let me know...

I just got off the phone with the FTC. If everyone calls and complains then the chances they will investigate SCO goes up. They look for patterns. In other words, if the majority of their calls are about SCO then they will investigate. It is time to take the Slashdot effect to the phones.

These are the key points to make:

-You did not purchase software from SCO

-The company that "produced" your software did not purchase it from SCO

-It was not marketed or packaged by SCO

-Despite this SCO is asking for $199 from home users (You) and $699 from business for 1 CPU

They will ask for your name, phone number, address etc. That is mostly to verify your identity and citizenship I think.

Here is the number:

1-877-382-4357 option 4

They are nice and listen well. The lady I talked to even took the time to get a better understanding of what Linux is. The best quote from her "You didn't purchase it from them and they want you to pay them? That sounds crazy."

--

Call FTC 1-877-382-4357 opt 4

-You didn't buy from SCO

-Vendor didn't either

-They want $199 ...

Here's some information that may help. They actually asked for this info:

The SCO Group

355 South 520 West

Suite 100

Lindon, Utah 84042

801-765-4999 phone

The guy I spoke with was actually somewhat familiar with what Linux is. One of his first questions was how this company got involved with me, which my answer was "Well, that's the problem. They didn't."

He eventually asked if SCO has contacted me personally with regard to this situation, which they have not. Don't lie to them. Be completely truthful. At the end of the call I got a reference number, and he said that if SCO does contact me personally, I should call back and let them know.

It was very easy to do, and took about 5 minutes of my time. The recording while I wated for the counselor to pick up the phone did say that the FTC does track trends in complaints. If we get enough people to complain, something will happen. Please, take a few minutes and call!

So please, if you wanna make a stand, do it. If you only have 5 minutes of spare time, and you are debating whether to reply to this post or to call that number, you know what I recommend. :)

Alternatively, you can file your complaint online:

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?...Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Note that I see in that list it lists Canada as a country, so I guess that means the FTC is global, or it just deals with American companies? I dont' know much about this sorta thing. :P

Success!

Complaint Accepted. Thank you for your input.

Guest dardack

it lists tons of country's in the website. I think it's for complaining against american companies, even if you're over seas. Also there is a site on FTC if your american and have a complaint against a foreign company, so maybe other Countries form of FTC might have the same thing? don't know. I did post a complain on the website, wondering if i shoulda called. Apparently from someone on slashdot that called later after that post, the guy that took his complaint had had a lot of calls on it already. The more the better. I just followed that guys article on what to say and put in. Anyways, peace.

BTW love Linus's comments on: "They're smoking crack."

[EDIT] had to make that my sig.

Why isn't more made of the huge amount of money microbrat has given to the sco initiative?

On the other hand, I notice the numerous ibm posts made to this board, as well as the voicemails and e-mails I get from ibm! :shock:

These guys really are smokin' crack!!!

this is an excellent idea. I called them. It is true, they are very helpful and friendly. Its nice to call a call center and deal with people as professional as this.

my reference number is 3282507. down with SCO.

The woman I spoke with was familiar with the complaint. maybe the phones are starting to flood with /.'ers.

SCO says IBM behind open source attacks. Kinda related here, so I thought I'd throw it in. Pretty funny :)

So any word on whether canucks can call?

I would think you guys can call regardless. Its an american company, and regardless where you are from, you have a complaint against the company. who knows, maybe they'd step it up a notch since the problem is international.

Guest dardack
who knows, maybe they'd step it up a notch since the problem is international.
You know, that's a really good point. That makes it worth a shot, anyway.

Like i said in my post, on the website it lists every country in the world for where you're complaining from. So anyone in the world can complain with the FTC against SCO, especially on the website but also through the phone.

Mine:

Success!

Complaint Accepted. Thank you for your input.

First Name:

Jason

Last Name:

Powlette

Age Range:

30 - 39

Street Address:

--Omited from this post--

City:

Nazareth

State or Canadian Province:

Pennsylvania

UNITED STATES

Zip Code or Postal Code:

--Omitted from this post---

E-Mail Address:

Home Phone:

Work Phone:

Subject of Your Complaint:

Computers/Internet Services

Name of Company You Are Complaining About:

The SCO Group

Street Address:

355 South 520 West  

Suite 100

City:

Lindon  

State or Canadian Province:

Utah

UNITED STATES

Zip Code or Postal Code:

Company Web Site:

http://www.caldera.com/

Company E-Mail Address:

info@sco.com

Phone Number:

(801)765-4999Ext.

How Did the Company Initially Contact You?:

Unknown

How Much Did the Company Ask You to Pay?:

How Much Did You Actually Pay the Company?:

How Did You Pay the Company?:

Unknown

First Name

Not Applicable

Last Name:

Not Applicable

Date Company Contacted You:

N/A (MM/DD/YYYY)

Explain Your Problem: (Please limit your complaint to 2000 characters.):

The SCO Group is claiming it owns the rights to a software product that I purchased from another company, namely, the Linux operating system (an open-source operating system for computers). I purchased Linux operating system from Walmart and Best Buy, retail chains of stores. I purchased several different versions of the operating system released by several vendors, Mandrake (a French company) and SuSE (a German company), namely; the Mandrake 8.1 personal edition, the Mandrake 8.2 PowerPack edition, and SuSE 8.2 Professional version. I do not, nor have I ever had any contact with SCO Group, their predecessor, Caldera, nor have I ever used any of their software.  

SCO Group is claiming that they own the rights to software code in the Linux operating system and that I, as an end user, MAY become liable to purchase a license from them, despite the fact that I have never had any contact with them, they have demonstrated none of their alleged rights to the software code publicly, nor have they succeeded in proving their claims in a court of law, in any jurisdiction. I believe that they, in fact, have no rights to the software and are attempting to extort money from end users such as myself, and businesses that use Linux in their enterprises, using fictitious claims.