Fluxbox question

liquidzoo

Ok, new question now. Maybe this should be in a new thread, if so; please split it off for me.

Anyone know how to use fbdesk? I am trying to get some icons on my desktop and it's just not working right. I get the icons loaded, but they won't do anything when I click on them. Maybe I have the wrong info in my config file.

I tried idesk, but it wouldn't compile. I couldn't figure out what the error was saying so I can't get it installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I had problems with idesk too, i just downloaded the last version and was thinking in trying again, anyway, im using fbdesk for now, you didnt posted your ~/.fluxbox/icons so im posting mine and you check it out and compare. (mine works!)

~/.fluxbox/icons

[Desktop Entry]

Name=ROX Filer

Exec=rox

Icon=/home/crow/iconos/l33t_GRA_blender.png

Pos= 100 100

[end]

[Desktop Entry]

Name=XMMS

Exec=xmms

Icon=/home/crow/iconos/l33t_MED_xmms2.png

Pos= 100 200

[end]

[Desktop Entry]

Name=Gaim

Exec=gaim

Icon=/home/crow/iconos/l33t_IMS_gaim2.png

Pos= 100 300

[end]

[Desktop Entry]

Name=Eterm

Exec=Eterm

Icon=/home/crow/iconos/l33t_TER_Eterm.png

what i dont like (and have to see if can change) is that sometimes the icons get "over" the applications, so you have to click them to go down again.

in the Exec= parameter you have to enter the command you use in console to launch the application, its case sensitive and also if its not in /usr/bin you should enter the full path (i think)

hope this helps!

bye the way, i saw your screenshots, where you had some terminals without the borders and also some with rounded borders, and wanted to know how you did it. (i have flux)

If you're speaking of my screenshots, those are from KDE using slicker and the slicker konsole. I think I got fbdesk working, so that's good. Next think I need to do is figure out how to get my theme working the way I want in flux. I guess the first thing I need to do is figure out where the theme files are kept, then I can start working on getting it to my liking.

mmm ... themes... yes i saw some, but didnt find them to my liking...

i just want a good background (im going to see if i can get fluxspace working) and wanted transparency for the Eterm and rounded borders for the windows.... thats what i aim for...

if someone can throw a tip, its welcome!

Transparency for Eterm, easy. Look in the Background menu, there's an option for transparency, just make sure you go to the Eterm menu and save the configuration so it will be the same next time. You can take the window borders (and leave the grayish top bar) off by executing it with the -x or --borderless commands.

Backgrounds?

www.deviantart.com

www.cognitavedistortion.com

www.digitalblasphemy.com

There's even some really sweet pics at www.nasa.gov

i just downloaded/installed fluxbox. booted into it & went :shock: forgive me, but i'm still in KDE land & fluxbox was like landing on mars for me, sorta. are there any good "how to's" out there on fluxbox configuration, tweaks, settings, etc.? i don't have time to play right now, but at least it's installed. the blank desktop threw me for a loop. i was expecting all kinds of pretty icons & such. i found the right click desktop option where you can configure things, but i was hoping for a cheat sheet of sorts, to get me started. if nothing like that is available, then i guess i'll have to hunker down & start learning more things. (sheesh......i haven't had to study this much since i was in school!) but, it's fun! :lol: anywho, sorry to stomp on this thread, but i didn't think i should start a new fluxbox thread since this one was still active.

Chris

idesk?

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...ubmit=Search+...

and don't forget this along with -x for Eterm, and make the flux style not use borders as well.

-w 0

-w width, --border-width width

Set the window's border width to width.  The border

this controls is the gap between the edge of the  X

window  and  the  edge of the terminal window; this

has nothing to do with  the  window  border's  your

window manager supplies.

Also, for those that use wvdial. In .xinitrc, or your startup script;

wvdial $* &

will run it and keep it out of the taskbar :wink: ...to stop it;

killall wvdial

Flux Home site has a lot of docs. For anything else, search the board....it is there....somewhere :wink:

Hi,

well i coulnd get the freakin iDesk working so, im using fbdesk wich is not as good but, its something... also there is fluxspace and for the configuration of flux, there is this prog at freshmeat.net fluxconf but i havent tested it, i normally edit the files by hand its fast and works...

the files for configuring flux are at ~/.fluxbox dir, they are: menu, init, keys and maybe another one, also there is "icons" if you install fbdesk.

bvc, a big THANK YOU, no more comments.

Ok, just one more reason I love Fluxbox. I had problems in KDE when my laptop screen would go into sleep mode. When I would wake it up, the screen was all messed up. I had to restart everything to get the screen back to normal. I had the same thing happen tonight, the monitor went into sleep mode, I woke it up, and everything was fine! I don't know if it's related to flux, but it's the first time that the screen came back normal.

By the way - this is my 400th post!