Beginner questions

osom

Besides why then these tutorials in Mandrivausers Wiki if they are not correct? You are the first one mentioning all of this.
The article in mandrivausers wiki is not incorrect, it mentions that programs are sometimes distributed as binaries inside tar.gz files. In these cases you have to unpack the tar file ("unzip it") and execute the binary. Simple. It also recommends, if I'm not mistaken, that most software is available all pre-compiled in the repositories (you have set up your repositories, right?) so you usually don't have to mess about with zipped tar files.

Sorry I can't give particular advice on Gimpshop, Frostwire or Limewire because personally I've never used them. I use Gimp which is very very easy to install (just click on the checkbox in the 'add software' gui) straight from the repositories. I also use KTorrent which is also available with just a few clicks. Look in the repositories, really, there are loads of stuff in there, much much more than "very few programs". Thousands of them.

This is where I got Gimpshop. Could you please check it and tell me what I have to do? http://www.gimpshop.com/download.shtml
Maybe that's not so good an example. The website is plastered in adverts, the blog is abandoned since April 2007 and the wikipedia page talks about "significant bugs" and lack of recent updates. Furthermore there doesn't seem to be rpm packages made for this program, only source code with 3-year-old compilation instructions (I assume you read the "How to Install the Linux port of GimpShop" guide on that page you gave?) - and they sound like a nightmare.

Personally I'd steer clear of Gimpshop, I'd just get the latest version of Gimp and try it out.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typing a couple of chars in a console requires far, far less than a degree in computer programming.

Some distros, e.g. Archlinux, have ready to go packages (right out of the box) for all three of the the above programs (although Gimpshop is dead since some two and a half years ago, Limewire stalled, and Frostwire rarely updated). Don't bother trying Archlinux, it will look like nuclear physics to you.

If typing a couple of commands, or making a desktop icon by hand is too much for you, then the best advice I can give you is going back to windows and your beloved trojans.

And, for the record, the best way to install Gimpshop 2.2.11 is forgetting it's existence (which you will have to do sometime, anyway, as it is crashing every six minutes) and using Gimp 2.6.2 instead.

No, it's not typing a few lines of code what annoys me. It's not knowing how and not finding anyone who really wants to help. I still don't know how that thing works. I thought the tutorial of the Wiki was the solution but apparently the mystery and secret of how to install a program is impossible to know.

If I loved Windows and the trojans I wouldn't be breaking my head and eyes against the screen trying to learn how to do things in Linux. Don't start with those classic bitter comments of linux fanatics because that's not my war. Computers for me are just a machine, a tool for which I have the same affection as I have for a microwave oven.

I dont care if Gimpshop is dead two years ago if it still works in Mandriva. I am very used to Photoshop and the format of The Gimp gets on my nerves. Same about Limewire or Frostwire.

I thought the tutorial of the Wiki was the solution but apparently the mystery and secret of how to install a program is impossible to know.
It's not a secret, it's just different for each program (depending on how the creator's author decided to do it). Imagine asking the same question for windows, "how do I install a zip file?" - it's impossible to answer unless you know what's inside the zip file. Exactly the same thing here, the tar.gz is nothing else than a zip file. Inside the zip file is hopefully instructions about what to do next. I don't think that's very difficult. If you want to do the unzipping and looking inside with a file manager then by all means do that, it's just the same.

But the fact still remains there may be programs which don't contain very good install instructions. I don't know whether the ones you're talking about are easy to install or difficult to install because I've never tried them.

I dont care if Gimpshop is dead two years ago if it still works in Mandriva.
Maybe it works fine, but I think, judging by that page you linked, that the author has lost interest in it and that there are problems with it which won't now get fixed. You could, if you so wish, try to get it to work on Mandriva but as I said, because there are no precompiled Mandriva binaries, you'd have to compile it yourself which is probably much more effort than you're willing to put into it.

Why don't we try getting Frostwire to work for you, if as Greg2 says it's a java app then it should be very easy to get going. Do you have a java runtime installed?

Gimpshop never, ever worked properly. I have been racking my nerves with it for almost three months, watching it crashing every 6 minutes under any distro I've tried it, and finally I bit the bullet and worked a little bit more with the gimp. At first I was surely annoyed that it didn't look like photoshop- but now, I don't bother at all. Same goes for Scribus: at first I was annoyed because some of its keystrokes were different than Quark Xpress, or because I was missing a couple of good xtensions. But now, I am rather more familiar with it than Quark (which I have used professionally for more than five years).

Why don't we try getting Frostwire to work for you, if as Greg2 says it's a java app then it should be very easy to get going. Do you have a java runtime installed?

Thanks Neddie, you are very nice. I can live without Frostwire or Limewire by now, i never liked those programs in Windows anyway and I have aMule by now.

I would prefer to try to install Gimpshop or a similar alternative even with less functions and there is nothing. Do you know of a simple graphics editor that I can use instead of Gimp or Gimpshop? I don't need too much. Just a simple editor for transparencies, png images, accurate in the selections, etc.

I also want definetely to install gnome-color-chooser. http://gnomecc.sourceforge.net/

One more question. I cannot see .avi movies. I can see .flv and hear .mp3 but not .avi. Do you know what can I do?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by osom

A good, BASIC image editor, is Picasa. It's Linux version is nothing more than the windows version, with an embedded tuned wine environment.

Under any current wine installation, Picasa 3 (beta) installs and works almost perfectly. Even uploading to web albums is working fine.

You may give it a spin.

It's not Gimp, or Photoshop, or dunno what- but it works.

Other image manipulation programs that work well under wine are IrfanView, and FastStone Image viewer.

And there are also good image manipulation Linux (native) programs, besides the Gimp, but all the good ones are desktop-specific.

Being unable to watch avi means that you either miss win32-codecs (if using an mplayer or xine frontend), or you don't have VLC installed.

Thanks a lot scarecrow.

However, Picasa is not what I need ( I already know it well). Neither do Irfanview or FastStone. I do a lot of graphic design. Not to the point of needing a top powerful program but something like Paint.Net can do. I mean, The Gimp would be perfect but it opens many WIndows and there are many strange functions to me. I just want to give Gimpshop a try.

Concerning the codecs. I do have win32-codecs installed. Do I need to install VLC to watch avi movies?

I still have to learn to use Wine, learn to install gnome-color-chooser and fix the absurd problem for which FIREFOX won't let me donwload or manage anything related to donwloads, not even define the folder for downloads in the Preferences menu.

Thanks again.

I've been reading this since the begining, but did not answer because I don't know gimpshop other than by name…

There's something that seems so obvious to me that I didn't even thought it would need being said, but maybe it isn't that obvious after all…

Two things actually:

— In Gimp, first thing I do upon first use is that I drag'n'drop all dialogs I need within the main container (the one with the File menu and the tools) and close all other dialogs. Result: I don't have many windows opened, just one per picture, and only one more with all the tools and options.

— I did not try yet, but it seems latest Gimp has changed so that your task bar is even less clutered!

So, really, my opinion is you should just try Gimp.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Thanks Yves.

Yes I do that as well. But it's not only that, it's all the other reasons:

1- I definetely want to learn to install any program and not only the easy rpms.

2- I am very used to the Photoshop menus so using the Gimp will get on my nerves til getting habituated

3- There are many things from The Gimp which I personally don't like at all.

I am trying this new 2.6 version and doesnt make a real difference. It is better because doesn't open tabs in the task bar but still you have these floating toolbars around.

Is it possible to run photoshop or paint.net with Wine? I am trying to learn to use Wine but again, I understand nothing. This is desperating, really. And I never find solutions to anything I need to do like:

- Learning to install programs

- Fix Firefox so I can download things and even where I want them to be downloaded (what a luxury)

- Install and use gnome-color-chooser so I can fix my taskbar for once

- Know how to use Wine.

- FIx the bloody VLC player which opens in two different windows no matters how many times I change the preferences and choose to open in only one

- Learn where on earth is the VLC/skins folder to paste there some skins and get to use them in VLC one day.

- Understand why VLC is the only player with which I can see avi movies. VLC is a really complicated and full of bugs player.

- Understand why the volume of the sound is so low that I have to put it to the maximum and then it will make this annoying background noisy that I cannot fix no matters what I try so I have to shut the sound until I play something.

Edited by osom

This thread already covers a lot of topics, so please start a new thread in Virtual Machines and Emulators for advice about Wine and running Windows programs. Thanks :)

Two other tips:

The vast majority of software you will need, has already been packaged by Mandriva or a third-party as RPMs. You already know how to use these, so you know how to install software. :) There is no need to learn in advance how to install all other software - it would be impractical anyway - just use the instructions that are provided with the stuff you're interested in... If there isn't a Mandriva package for you to use, this may be for licensing reasons or it may be that the software is buggy or not maintained.

There's a lot of choice in Linux, but if you expect that there'll always be an application that works like the Windows equivalent, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed...

- Learning to install programs

- Fix Firefox so I can download things and even where I want them to be downloaded (what a luxury)

- Understand why VLC is the only player with which I can see avi movies. VLC is a really complicated and full of bugs player.

- Understand why the volume of the sound is so low that I have to put it to the maximum and then it will make this annoying background noisy that I cannot fix no matters what I try so I have to shut the sound until I play something.

As you've already read in the wiki, the very very best way to install software is using the "easy" rpms. There is a boatload of software there, as already mentioned, and it is definitely checking out what is already there before trying another method.

If you really want to try installing something other than the stuff in the repositories, there are many alternatives. For example, try installing Skype. I'm pretty sure that's an rpm download from skype.com. Too easy for you? Then try installing Google Earth. That's a binary from earth.google.com. Still too easy? Then pick a small program with not too many dependencies (ie no KDE-specifics or gnome-specifics, just a small standalone program), get the source code and try to compile it and install it. There's a whole spectrum from "too easy for you" to "too hard for you" and everything inbetween. Good luck! :thumbs:

Firefox - I can download things fine, and it asks me where each time. Just go to Edit - Preferences - Main.

AVIs - there are avis and there are avis - it's more important what's inside the avi and which codec is used rather than the fact that's it's packaged in an avi container. But codecs are often a pain. Try playing with mplayer and see what it complains about - then find out which rpm you need to provide that codec.

Volumes - don't know but try the settings in your mixer - sounds like one of your sliders is too low and you're just amplifying noise. Also try running alsamixer.

Graphics - I don't know of a single program which will do what you want other than Gimp. Personally I do use Gimp, and also Digikam's image editor for simple stuff, and also Inkscape for vector stuff. I assume you've read the descriptions of the packages in the "Graphics" section of your repositories?

That's about all I can suggest for now. Apart from - try and present a single question rather than a dozen at once. Describe what you've tried and what the error message is.

If you are using Mandriva, then you can simply install a package called wine-doors which will allow you to install and use Photoshop CS2 under wine along with a load of other Windows software.

It's trial so it means you can only use Photoshop for 30 days, but since gimpshop doesn't exist or doesn't work with newer versions of gimp you may as well just use gimp. To do basic stuff which you seem to want to do, it's not going to be such a big problem that you make out.

If you checked in the wiki, there are also many posts here about setting up your repositories so that you can easily install packages by searching for them and installing them without the need to manually compile them like you've been attempting to do. easyurpmi link at the top of the page, and you'll have access to a load more software if you didn't already do this.

Changes, sometimes you just have to get used to, like the fact VLC opens two windows, or that gimp simply looks different. It's not supposed to be Windows and it never will be.

• 2 months later...
Thanks a lot everybody, you are very kind for helping me and I really appreciate it.

I couldn't fix any of my problems but thank you anyway.

Wow you got a lot problems ..dude are you there? download this manual with opera or firefox (which 1 u like) this is what gave me a lot of info (some of them does not work anymore but taught me how to be a linux user

download it and read it....if you wanna know about programs you have to download the tar.gz or .tar.bz2 files if you want to compile it (u will see it in the manual give it a try) maybe it will open your eyes a little bit more....