gDesklets 0.12.1 compilation problem

shoegoo

I am having a difficult time compiling gDesklets 0.12.1 After running the configure script this is the error I get

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for gnome-python-2.0 >= 1.99.14 pygtk-2.0 >= 1.99.14... Package pygtk-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygtk-2.0.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'pygtk-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (gnome-python-2.0 >= 1.99.14 pygtk-2.0 >= 1.99.14) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

The only entry in /usr/lib/pkgconfig that I think might be relevant is gnome-python-2.0.pc* I dontknow whay but its the only executable one in the directory.

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# rpm -q pygtk

pygtk-0.6.9-6mdk

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# rpm -q pygtk-devel

pygtk-devel-0.6.9-6mdk

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# rpm -q gnome-python

gnome-python-1.99.15-1mdk

I used

find / pytgtk*.pc

and then

find / pygtk-2.0.pc

as root and neither found anything.

you have a t in the first one, was that there when you did the find or just a typo on here? i would su to root, run updatedb, and do a: locate pygtk*.pc and see if that gives you any better luck

also maybe gnome-python-devel would help, if it exists...which it should...

The t is a typo,

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# urpmi gnome-python-devel

no package named gnome-python-devel

I also tried this as you instructed

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# updatedb

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# locate pygtk*.pc

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]# locate pygtk-2.0.pc

[root@localhost gDesklets-0.12.1]#

BTW, Tyme, I think you and I must be the only ppl on the board interested in this software...

Well I got it installed but everytime I try to run it it says python 2.2 may produce unexpected errors, then it crashes. There doesnt seem to be a complete set of pyhton 2.3 rpms yet, so i installed it from source. I tried running the prog again and I got the same error message so I tried to urpme python2.2, it told me there wasnt a package called python2.2 but one called libpython2.2, so i tried to urpme it, but it didnt work, it said it would break my system. Then I checked my path and symlinked python 2.3 in /usr/bin and that still didnt work... I am stuck again.

you probably should recompile gdesklets after you've installed the newer version of python. and make sure when you ./configure the new python you do it with the --prefix=/usr switched, i.e.:

./configure --prefix=/usr

If I was running Mandrake I'd spend some time trying to get it working, but I run arch....and have a completely seperate set of problems going on right gdesklets.

Also might want to clean the source tree;

make clean

or

make distclean

Or delete it and start over. You could also take a look at ./configure --help and see how you can specify the python libs $DIR from a ./configure option and/or in the Makefile.

Comment deleted. Reason:

09:33 < tyme> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=59180#59180 <-what's this about me pushing arch down others throats, dolson?  i wonder what you were doing there.

I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to post information about Debian here on this forum. Sorry for the inconvenience, I won't do it again.

can anyone try to find out what package pygtk-2.x.pc is in? I did a search on the rpm sites and got no response...I know I had a similar problem previously with Mandrake, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it....