Problems with UPS in Mdv 2009.0

Guest xauii

Hello,

I have some problems with my UPS (Uninterrupted power supply) in Mandriva 2009.0. I already tried many things, I read some HOWTOs, but they didnt help me -.-'.

So the Problem is I start my mcc and go to Hardware/UPS and Mandriva say that an UPS is found but after the configuration i click on "Finish" and there is a warning that says

write support for users is incomplete
it lacks some support for some
extra fields that would be lost else.

I just want to configurate my UPS that when my power goes down, the ups starts and when the ups power is gone the PC shuts down normally before the power is completely gone.

If the error I mentioned above is no problem, how or where can I configure the behaviour of the ups?

Thank you in advance for your help.

xAuii

Have you installed the following packages (if you are using an APC Ups),....

apcupsd....and .....gapcmon ???

If not then do so and go from there. I have an APC Back-UPS CS 650 and the setup works like a dream.

The packages have been produced by APCs close working with the Linux community. It can be said that APC is a good friend of Linux. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

Sorry, first I thought it works, but it really doesn't.

I have the same problem as papaschtroumpf described in https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=24858 ... Although that post is of 2005 the problem is still the same in MDV2009.0 (which I newly installed). Even the erroneous error message has stayed the same.

I also fount your (AussieJohn) post https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=41303 which points out the same errors I have. Trouble is, the problem wasn't really solved back then, but vanished after you reinstalled Linux.

The demon (apcupsd) runs, the tool (gapcmon) works.

When starting gapcmon the console output is as follows:

** Message: gapc_panel_gconf_init(gconf_client_add_dir() Failed) emsg=Der Konfigurationsserver konnte nicht kontaktiert werden; mögliche Fehlerquellen sind, dass TCP/IP für ORBit nicht aktiviert ist oder auf Grund eines Systemabsturzes alte NFS-Sperren gesetzt sind. Unter http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ erhalten Sie weitere Informationen (Details - 1: Verbindung zur Sitzung konnte nicht abgerufen werden: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

My free translation to English :-) The funny thing is, parts are English, parts are German...:

** Message: gapc_panel_gconf_init(gconf_client_add_dir() Failed) emsg=The configuration server couldn't be contacted; possible causes of this error are that TCP/IP isn't activated for ORBit or old NFS-locks are set because of a system failure. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ to receive further information (Details - 1: Connection to session could not be retrieved: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Some additional output:

# service apcupsd status
FATAL ERROR in apcaccess.c at line 51

The tables in gapcmon are empty. Once I could add my UPS in the preferrences of gapcmon, now I can't any more...

I'm quite confused. Looking into the services page of mcc I find

apcupsd active and at startup

upsd active and at startup (after i turned it on)

upsmon not active and not starting either

I hope somebody can help me.

Just tried to start upsmon:

# upsmon
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.2.2
Can't open /etc/ups/upsmon.conf: No such file or directory

I'll try to find a man page for that one, but don't really know what I'm doing there.

xauii:

I have an APC ups, but I have not used the packages apcupsd and gapcmon suggested by AussieJohn. Instead, I used the The Network UPS Tools (NUT) which is made up of two packages:

nut

nut-server

I believe these two packages are installed when you seek to setup a ups within mcc as you initially did.

My ups is a SmartUPS which is connected via a serial cable to COM1 (/dev/ttyS0). I looked in /usr/share/driver.list which told me the necessary driver is apcsmart

In /etc/ups the following files were manually edited:

/etc/ups/ups.conf

/etc/ups/upsd.users

/etc/ups/upsmon.conf

in ups.conf the following was added:

[myups]

driver = apcsmart

port = /dev/ttyS0

cable = 940-0024C

in upsd.users the following was added:

# Supervision user

[admin]

password = mypass

allowfrom = localhost

actions = SET

instcmds = ALL

# Protection user

[monuser]

password = mypass

allowfrom = localhost

upsmon master

in upsmon.conf the following was added:

MONITOR myups@localhost 1 monuser mypass master

After these files were edited and I restarted my computer all was well. The status of the ups can be checked with:

upsc myups@localhost

If all of this seems unnecessarily complicated it is ;) From my experience with Mandriva 2005 and 2008.1, all of this is unfortunately needed. :wall:

Edited by daniewicz

Have you also gone into MCC.......System.....Manage system services by enabling or disabling them......and making sure there is a tick in the box for .....apcupsd ???

If not then insert a tick. I have found rebooting is more reliable rather than clicking on the Start button on that item.

Also when you open UPS Monitor you have to go to .....Preferences...and make sure you have ticked Enabled

Cheers. John