2008.1 to 2009 laptop update

mindwave

all i had with me was the 2009 FREE cd, I ALMOST waited, but I was bored at work so thought what the heck.

load cd, reboot maintain partitions reformat all but HOME, 30 minutes later 2009 kde4 all up and ready.

nice, smooth, easy

2 observations (related)

since i wanted to keep my primary husers info i put my HOME on a seperate partition and then created a NEW user during the install.

The idea being, login as that new user "create" my old user, and tell MCC NOT to create a NEW home, reboot and hen log in as my primary user. Everythings great right?

well a NEW feature that I hadnt seen reference to, is the dedicated AUTOLOGIN!

so without choosing to my laptop immediately logs in as my "new" user and goes straight to the desktop.

wanting to avoid that, and not really needing the other user (other than as an emergency login) I went into mcc and removed it.

BOOM!

Nothing boots.

I'm handed the initial GRUB menu and once I select it whirs away for 3 minutes and stops. it seemed to stop at a SCSI (?) probe? the internal HD is PATA so i dont even know why that was happening.

reinsert cd, reboot all is well.

now stuck w/ 2 users.

i just have to poke around until i find EITHER a way for the system to not autologin or to choose my primary as the user to login.

HOWEVER, overall I like 2009 from what Ive seen (I've been playing with it on a spare pc since the beta1)

things are snmooth and quick!