Mandriva 1009.0 with KDE 3?

banjo

I just installed 2008.1 and have it working OK now. The system keeps pestering me to upgrade to 2009.0, but with all the issues I have read about KDE 4, I would rather stick with my current desktop.

Is there a simple way to upgrade the OS to 2009 without upgrading the desktop to KDE 4? This is a multi-user computer and I would prefer to have a stable desktop.

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

the upgrade will not upgrade to kde4 but will keep kde3, you can install kde4 later however (though I do not recommend it as it mixes some apps, like that sorry excuse for a filemanager called dolphin will insist on being used in kde3 all the time)

Edited by ffi

Thanks for the info. The issue is that I have a house full of people who are not computer savvy and who use the computer to email and shop and surf etc. They all love Linux after I have set it up. No viruses or adware or bluescreens..... just using it.

There is a large value in presenting a recognized and comfortable environment. Nobody is interested in blowing the socks off the bleeding edge of technology. So I will stick with the known quantity for now, which is KDE 3. Thanks for the help. I will sleep better knowing that survival is possible even if somebody accidentally clicks on the message "Pimp My OS". :lol2:

Linux rocks.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edited by banjo

Actually there are more KDE 4 applications blended in 2009 KDE 3 like Gwenview, Ktorrent and Krusader. Somebody made a package of Gwenview on the official forum (look for a topic called KDE 3). There is an Amarok package in the official repo which works, except theming, unlike the new Amarok. I thought about rebuilding the KDE 3 packages of Ktorrent and Krusader but one of them needs 100 M in dependencies just to build, the other one needs 300 M. So I wait until I become really desperate or somebody makes a package of them.

BTW both SoS and MDE seem to be stopped. Anyone have some news about them?

Easiest way is if someone here know how to remove

the "The system keeps pestering me to upgrade to 2009.0"- issue.

In my case upgrades has always( 3 times ) meant I'd have to

reinstall it from scratch due to ugrade issues.

And that was without the kde3 to kde4 conversion.

//

Edited by So_it_goes

In the MandrivaOnline icon just make sure it's not ticked at startup, then it won't pester you with notifications to upgrade. Then close it, and you're done. This is the orange icon by the clock.

Upgrade from 2008.1 and 2009.0 was done without any problems for me, and I even upgraded to Cooker in between before 2009.0 was released - effectively, I upgraded to a BETA release before going to final which would have expected more problems to occur for me than for you.

Anyway, closing that app will stop it, and then you'll never get your system updated unless you do it manually yourself - updates included for security fixes.

Mandriva 1009.0 with KDE 3?, Is there a simple way to do this?

They didn't even have KDE 3 back in the year 1009, so this may be more tricky than you think!

Ah, yes. Those were the good old days. We did our computing with little beads on wires. That was good stuff. It rarely crashed except during earthquakes and raids by the Mongol hoards. :lol2:

I downloaded Mandy 2009 One CD and booted it on my other computer and it behaved rather badly. The widgets crashed the X server several times, and when I tried to go to a web site it started reading the CD endlessly (like a half hour) until I shut it down. I imagine that was an artifact of the age of the computer and the CD boot.

I would consider upgrading over the net to keep my KDE3, but my internet connection is so flakey these days that it would doubtless crap out on me in the middle and leave me with a boat anchor.

Is there a way to turn off the annoying upgrade notices and then start them up again later? Isn't it just a daemon?

Banjo

(_)=='=~

P.S. My eeepc is still running the original Xandros and doing just fine, so I am leaving it alone.