Living on the bleeding edge (Live-Howto)

aru

After a month of using a booooooooooring MDK9.1, I've decided to upgrade 'a lo macho' to Cooker. I WANT FUN AFTER WORK!!!!

As the update is going quite well, I'm on it right now, I'm going to share this LIVE-HOWTO with all of you.

I'm not creating a new partition for cooker, despite I've got a disk of about 150Gb, I'm overwriting my Mdk9.1install!!! (*).

Before updating I decided that was a good idea to have a local cooker mirror, so it would be faster for the scripts (not yet written) to be run locally than trusting a remote ftp server. During the weekend I've been downloading the cooker tree using fmirror. I could have used rsync (and probably I'll switch to it in the future), but using fmirror was plain easy, and as I was in a hurry when I started, I dedided to go with fmirror:

:

# script to download the cooker mirror

LOCALDIR=/home/aru/cooker

cd $LOCALDIR

fmirror -f <(echo "

host: ftp.rediris.es

remotedir: /pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/cooker/Mandrake

localdir: $LOCALDIR

")

The next step is the UPGRADE and that's the point I'm today.

First I've added the local mirror to the urpmi sources:

~# urpmi.addmedia --update localcooker file://home/aru/cooker/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

Next, a completely redundant step (but is good to have it present, for next updates):

~# urpmi.update -a

Finally, the step I'm finishing right now, the phisical upgrade:

What hasn't worked is (because of few dependence problems):

~# urpmi --media localcooker --auto-select

But this has worked (indeed is finishing right now) like a charm:

~# for pack in $(urpmq --media localcooker --auto-select); do  echo "instalando $pack"; yes | urpmi --media localcooker $pack; done

Which tries to install every upgrading package on it's own, solving it's own dependences one by one, and answering yes to all the questions. Towards the end almost every package it tries to install is 'Already Installed' :twisted:

Post updated on the fly:

Ops, this stuff has finished... and... every thing seems to work... let's check a reboot, the proof of fire! ;)

Second post update:

Well, every thing seems to be on its place :lol:

In the NEXT post (whenever I'll have time), I hope I'll post the scripts I'll be using to keep my brand new cooker daily updated (they have to warantee some way to revert to the previous state in case something goes wrong)

(*) I'm not stupid at all, and I know that cooker is now in beta or rc or something like that, so it might work quite well ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
After a month of using a booooooooooring MDK9.1, I've decided to upgrade 'a lo macho' to Cooker. I WANT FUN AFTER WORK!!!!

I, also, one day will upgrade my box 'a lo macho' :P