Update to 2009.0 causes hang at boot

RVDowning

My mdkonline indicated an update to 2009.0 last night. These were kernel related items and I installed them. Now when I bring up the system it hangs at the splash screen that displays the progress bar. The progress bar does not move. If I hit the ESC key, it will flip over to text mode and then start to process the startup commands. It will just sit there before I hit the ESC key. So far the longest I've waited for it to do anything is 15 minutes. Should I go back to my previous grub entry or is there a way to fix this hang?

I see on the Mandriva forum that others have experienced this also, but no one has yet offered a solution.

Guest bolschevick

Hey I ve got exactly the same problem....after trying everything possible with

grub n lilo, now i cant even just kill graphic mode/progress-bar....doesnt react to nonfsb and/or

splash=silent kernel commands through Drakconf and explicitly from both lilo

and grub....incredible....

...i really hope this gets fixed, in the meanwhile i revert to primary kernel shiped

with original 2009.0 ... Dont, however, let this turn u away from MDV09 its totally

great, at least for me, just seems they published kernel update before really testing

it enough..... till real update is done original 2.6.27-desktop-0.rc8.2mnb worked

just fine....at least for me....

I understand from another group that using mcc to turn off the splash screen shuld work as well as the following quote: "If your system boots only if you kill splashy by pressing esc, You can edit /boot/menu.lst and remove the line splash=silent from the boot parameter of the kernel that fails to boot."