Laptop kernel

Chris H

So what gives with the laptop kernel?

What benefits should it provide against the standard kernel?

Should I change to it?

Will this kernel maybe help with getting suspend/resume working? It works fine on my laptop with Ubuntu once I've tinkered with the acpi-support file but I've never got it working with any non-debian based distro.

From the Mandriva 2009.0 Release Notes...

The kernel-laptop flavor of the official kernel no longer exists in Mandriva Linux 2009. It had few remaining customizations as compared to the kernel-desktop flavor. Some of these were now irrelevant and have been removed; the others were now safe to add to the kernel-desktop flavor (and will benefit desktop users in terms of increased power efficiency). So the kernel-desktop flavor is now as efficient for laptops as kernel-laptop previously was, and will be used on all desktop and laptop systems.

FWIW, I have been using the Desktop Kernel with Mandriva 2007.1 and 2008.1, and I have Suspend to RAM and Hibernate to Disk working fine. It did take some trial and error as well as research, to get it all working though.