Help with posting html files

Guest HammerHead66

Guest HammerHead66

Yes, yes I am the biggest newbie on the planet! Ok, now that you know that. I have never started a server or web page online befor. I have been able to make a web page(html file) but I don't know how to get it to show over the www. Any help? Thanks for reading and helping the biggest newbie on the planet.

Welcome to the board! mub-beer.gif

I wouldn't call it "posting" html files, but anyway. Here are a few options:

To get the file to show on your computer, just open the file in a web browser like Firefox or Konqueror. You can use the "File->Open" command, or drag-and-drop, or right-click and "Open with" or double click or whatever. Try your file on at least 2 different browsers to see if it looks different.

To get the file to show on your friend's computer, email them the html file and they can open it as above. Unfortunately this gets tricky when you reference other files within your html file, as you'll need to send those too.

To get your site really on the internet, the easiest way is to copy the file to another machine which will act as a webserver for you. Maybe your ISP provides a free home page for you? Check this first, otherwise you can use one of the free web hosting services like geocities which offer the service for free in exchange for being able to put their ads on your page.

Or, if you want to do it all yourself, you'll need to install a web server on your computer, leave your computer running all the time, and come up with some way to make your machine's address publicly findable. This probably isn't what you want.

Out of interest, are you using Linux? Are you using Mandriva?