"Turn off computer" results in console mode

I have a funny glitch going on in my Mandy 2008.1 with KDE. Sometimes (not always) when I try to turn off the computer from the login screen it drops me into console mode at a login prompt. The first couple of times this happened, I thought I had clicked the wrong menu item, but I was watching it last time, and I definitely clicked on "Shutdown" which posted a dialog box where I clicked "Turn off computer". Instantly I got the console mode with a login prompt. :huh:

My question is how do I get back to the graphics or optionally finish the shutdown from the command line? Here is what I have tried.

I logged in as me and ran "startx". That brings me back to my own graphical login, kewl, but the right click on the desktop posts a dialog box with only one option in it, "Log Out", which puts me back at the console. :wall: D'oh! There is no longer any option in the dialog to turn off the computer.

So I logged in on the console as root and typed, "shutdown now", which killed off a bunch of processes and left me in single user mode. My CLI skills are so rusty after all of these years I am not sure how to get the computer to shut off. Can I just power down at that point?

What I finally did last night was to log in as root, enter "reboot", which rebooted back to the graphical login, logged in as me, right click the desktop and the dialog has "Turn off computer" in it.... which worked. :thumbs:

But that takes way too long when I am ready to go to bed. What is the magic? This ought to be an easy one, but..... :blink:

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

[moved from Software by Greg2]

So I logged in on the console as root and typed, "shutdown now", which killed off a bunch of processes and left me in single user mode. My CLI skills are so rusty after all of these years I am not sure how to get the computer to shut off. Can I just power down at that point?

To power off the system, as root do

shutdown -h now

Thanks. I will try that next time. I suppose that I could have looked that up in the man page :blush: if I had figured out which man page to look at.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

P.S. After poking around a bit, I think "halt" is the command I used to use and could not remember.

Edited by banjo

I first started working with Unix in about 1976....yeah....I know...how do you spell "O-L-D"?

Anyway, I used to know this stuff cold, but thanks to all the fancy GUI stuff we have now I have neglected my CLI way too long. I guess I am suffering from CRS now too. :blink:

I wondered why "Turn Off Computer" showed up in my logoff dialog even when logged in as me. Go figure. My system is working great if I can remember how to work it. :lol2:

Banjo

(_)=='=~