Can't set the monitor refresh rate

Guest Ahmed28

Guest Ahmed28

Hi, it is my first time using Linux, I run Mandriva 2009 live cd, I have no knowledge in Linux at all, my monitor is Dell M991, and the refresh rate is 85 Hz, I cant set it to 100 Hz, in the hardware config , there is only option to change the resolution, but not the refresh rate

And I dont have a clue how to edit xorg files

Can someone help me ?

You don't need to edit the Xorg file. Make sure your monitor correctly identified in the Mandriva Contol Centre (Configure your computer)--> Hardware--> Setup the Graphical Server. You will have to do this everytime you reload the live cd.

I doubt if 100 Hz is supported by any monitor, and anyway it may even be innapropriate as a frequency in any case, if your AC network is set at 50 Hz (which applies for most parts of Europe).

75-85 Hz for most CRT monitors, and 60 Hz for most LCD/TFT ones should be just fine.

Edited by scarecrow

CRT monitors can generally support a higher refresh rate the lower the resolution. 100Hz support isn't that uncommon. It doesn't have any benefit, though, unless you have incredibly sensitive eyes that can see flicker at 85Hz.

The only way to force a specific refresh rate is via xorg.conf , but X will automatically use the highest rate available for the given resolution, on a CRT. So if it's using 85Hz it's because nothing higher is supported by your monitor at that resolution.