Hotmail doesn't work any more [solved]

neddie

It's a shame we have to resort to posing as IE when in fact we use Firefox and Microsoft continue to design their sites badly and not supporting browsers that they say they support when clearly from our experiences - they don't!!!

I suppose we can complain to Microsoft, but they won't change their strategies.

user agent switcher allows editing and posting new emails. I'm gonna stay a bit longer.

I tried this, but it didn't work for me. By pretending to be IE, I didn't get the "update your browser" message any more but instead I just got a boatload of javascript errors and I then couldn't even read mails any more, let alone write any. Maybe pretending to be IE makes the site send stuff which only FF3 understands but not FF2 ? (I'm using default Firefox2 from 2008.1 repositories and haven't the urge to install FF3 just to please hotmail.)

On the plus side I've now got a shiny new googlemail address which works pretty well without changing browsers or forging user agents.

I have the latest FF3 and I still get those errors, so using the latest Firefox doesn't fix it for me. Maybe I'll try Firefox 3 under Windows to see if it's any different.

I'm also using 64 bit, so maybe this doesn't help either if it's java-based.

Well it works in the latest Firefox under Windows - so it's not a Firefox issue. Now, I'll check and test under 32 bit Linux distro and see if I get the same problem - then I can either rule out x86_64 or that it's just Linux in general.

I've gotten the new Hotmail version to work under Linux with Firefox v 3.03. It seems like Microsoft is actively shutting out Linux users. If you use the usersagent string for Firefox v3.03 with Windows in the Linux version everything works.

Hotmail works with this user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3

Hmm.. why doesn't Microsoft like Linux users? ;-)

Edited by ppcrulez

This might be late but here goes. I have seen a similar thread about this in forum.mandriva.com and a user there had found a solution googling. In FF type about:config in the address bar then search for general.useragent.vendor. Double click it and change it from Mandriva to Firefox. Restart and hotmail should, hopefully, work now.

Wow, so simple, but it works! :thumbs:

Thanks, medo3891, that fixed it, even though the useragent is still Firefox and LInux. Guess they just don't like Mandriva :unsure: The screen now looks just like my previous screenshot above, except the controls are no longer greyed out and I can actually type into the message.

Weird, but now it's fixed, thank you! mub-beer.gif

Edited by neddie

I suspect that setting the useragent like that might break some desktop integration- but if Hotmail access is a priority, this is a fine solution.

Thanks for the tip- although I don't really use Hotmail (got an account, which I last accessed some five months ago, or so).

Edited by scarecrow