Strange click during boot

neddie

Something else new since I upgraded to 2008.1 - now I get a fairly loud "click" from the laptop speakers during boot. Just about the time where it says "Starting udev" (but of course perhaps completely unrelated to this), it gives a "crack" like when you plug something in to a hifi. This never happened before with other Mandrivas on this machine. Any idea what it might be?

By the way I've disabled pulseaudio due to the skype problem, not sure if this is related or not. And I often notice artsd chewing up 10% or so of cpu, but when I kill the task it comes back again later.

is it similar to the sound you might hear when turning on speakers (i.e. desktop speakers)? I know on my desktop 5.1 speakers, whenever I turn them on, their is an audible "crack" (if the volume is up).

Edited by tyme

Can't believe it's normal for a laptop to make such a noise though. :unsure:
I don't think it's normal either :) - I was just curious what it sounds like. For you to get an audible click caused by the power on, volumes would need to be set before the sound card is initialized - not likely, but you should check dmesg for any weird errors me thinks. Also, mute all output in alsamixer, save the config and reboot - see if the sound is still there. Edited by tyme

The only thing weird I can see in dmesg is this

input: PC Speaker as /class/input/input3
No idea what that means. But I've muted all outputs in kmix (and set volumes to zero too), and done the same with the inputs, and the click is still there :(