Ubuntu 8.10 Released!

Artificial Intelligence

So far it havn't been a problem with xorg 1.5.0 and the drivers.

Apparently, you have a new nvidia card (maybe an Intel also, but since you're a gamer I doubt it). However, this does not make any ATi or older nvidia card owner happier... :P

BTW nvidia has issued a beta legacy driver compatible with xorg 1.5.X- it should be in the Intrepid repos within a couple of days.

But ATi has nothing yet- it seems that they are more imbecile than I could ever imagine...

PS: It seems that this new Ubuntu is deliberately ignoring the xorg.conf settings?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

The X.Org configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) still has InputDevice entries for the mouse and keyboard, but they are ignored now because input-hotplug is used. The keyboard settings now come from /etc/default/console-setup; to change them please use sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup. After that, HAL and X need to be restarted (e.g., by rebooting your system).

If this applies, then Ubuntu is even closer to windows mentality than any time before... I don't think such innovations serve it well.

Edited by scarecrow

Another reason for not buying ATI - too slow. NVidia has generally always been great, and if it's in the repos almost immediately, even with a little delay, it's miles ahead of ATI. I used to think ATI were good, but I had a bad experience and it wouldn't work with Linux and OpenGL well enough without too much fiddling around and even then it was worse than the open source driver. NVidia always worked for me, no problems. Speaks for itself. OK, enough video card bashing :lol2:

I just updated to the new version now of Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 :)

If this applies, then Ubuntu is even closer to windows mentality than any time before...
So wait, Ubuntu is getting closer to Windows, when it's simply implementing the features available? Using HAL For detection of the input is a pretty common thing these days. And a feature is provided to override it's settings. Xorg.conf is being used less, in many distributions (not just ubuntu), relegating the task of hardware detection and configuration where it belongs - with HAL. Edited by tyme

scarecrow: input hotplugging is a new feature of X server 1.5, it's not some special Ubuntu evilness. I'm surprised they didn't build it so you can override it via the standard configuration file, though. X.org seem to be trying to get rid of xorg.conf entirely, I'm really not 100% convinced it's a good way to go...ah well.

scarecrow: input hotplugging is a new feature of X server 1.5, it's not some special Ubuntu evilness. I'm surprised they didn't build it so you can override it via the standard configuration file, though. X.org seem to be trying to get rid of xorg.conf entirely, I'm really not 100% convinced it's a good way to go...ah well.

Thanks for clearing it out... somehow I had the impression that the deprecation of xorg.conf was an Ubuntu policy.

xorg 1.5.X is available at my distro of choice (Archlinux), but it has remained in the shade (the testing repo) since several months ago, mainly because of ATi's inability to make a working prorietary driver for it.

I am also less than convinced that deprecating xorg.conf for the sake of an auto-config script/daemon is the right way to go, but after all, it's just me (and you, probably).