Removing libbeagle1 library [solved]

dude67

I noticed some problems with long opening times (and some other problems as well) so I wanted to go by this note in the errata:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata#...ed_applications

It basically suggested to remove libbeagle1 library. But when I was going to remove it, I got the message that the following packages are also to be removed (dependencies); why all these?:

Because of their dependencies, the following package(s) also need to be removed:

- brasero-0.8.2-1mdv2009.0.i586
		  - compiz-config-kconfig-0.7.8-2mdv2009.0.i586
		  - compiz-decorator-kde-0.7.8-2mdv2009.0.i586
		  - k3b-1.0.5-9mdv2009.0.i586
		  - kdebase-common-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0.i586
		  - kdebase-ksysguard-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0.i586
		  - kdebase-progs-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0.i586
		  - kdebase-servicemenu-2007-8mdv2009.0.noarch
		  - ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-13mdv2009.0.i586
		  - libkdebase4-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0.i586
		  - mdklaunchhelp-2007-1mdv2007.0.i586
		  - task-gnome-minimal-2009.0-4mdv2009.0.noarch
		  - yelp-2.24.0-3mdv2009.0.i586

0B of additional disk space will be used.

Do e.g. compiz-config-kconfig or compiz-decorator-kde or k3b :o have something to do with a beagle lib?

Edited by dude67

I would guess those programs have beagle-dependent features, or beagle plugins, which causes Mandriva to think if you remove beagle they have to go too. Is there an option in urpmi to not check deps when removing a package? Try doing that - you should be OK.

You don't have to remove it, just disable it. Right-click on the taskbar (kicker) icon > configure kerry > indexing > uncheck the 'start beagle indexing service automatically', 'index data while on battery power', 'index my home folder' boxes, click on apply and ok. Again right-click on the taskbar (kicker) icon > quit > do not start automatically when you login.

OK, thanks both. But I still seem to need a bit more push...

i) I don't know how to uninstall a package without removing the dependency-packages...

ii) I don't have the option Greg2 mentioned. I checked from MCC and I cannot find beagle nor kerry from the services list... So does that mean I don't have beagle or kerry running?

Edited by dude67

What Greg2 said will work if you have kerry-beagle installed and running but it's not the case in KDE4. KDE4 has nepomuk and strigi as desktop search engines.

You can remove a package without uninstalling the dependencies using this command:

rpm -e --nodeps libbeagle1

use this at YOUR OWN RISK, using the --nodeps option is potentially dangerous.

OK, that went nicely. This is what was removed

# urpme beagle
  To satisfy dependencies, the following 3 packages will be removed (4.1MB):
	beagle-0.3.8-13.1mdv2009.0.i586
	beagle-evolution-0.3.8-13.1mdv2009.0.i586
	 (due to unsatisfied mono(BeagleDaemonLib) == 0.0.0.0,
	  due to unsatisfied beagle == 0.3.8)
	beagle-gui-0.3.8-13.1mdv2009.0.i586
	 (due to unsatisfied beagle == 0.3.8)
  Remove 3 packages? (y/N)

I'll see if that helped for the slow responses of the system; I'll report back.

-EDIT-

OK, it left these packages orphan, so I just removed them also.

The following packages are now orphans, use "urpme --auto-orphans" to remove them.
  beagle-libs-0.3.8-13.1mdv2009.0.i586
  evolution-sharp-0.18.0-1mdv2009.0.i586
  galago-sharp-0.5.0-8mdv2009.0.noarch
  gmime-sharp-2.2.23-1mdv2009.0.i586
  gsf-sharp-0.8.1-3mdv2009.0.i586
  poppler-0.8.7-2mdv2009.0.i586

Edited by dude67

There are over 28 threads about this over at the forum.mandriva, some of which users completely removed their DE. Many have had to do a complete reinstall to correct the damage done.

There are also a couple of related bug reports at bugzilla.

...but in this particular case, it didn't do anything bad. You won't suffer any problems as a result of removing the packages you did, don't worry.

The problems with --auto-orphans happen when the task-kde4 or task-gnome packages somehow get removed (usually as a consequence of you removing some KDE or GNOME app you don't want). This causes most of the KDE / GNOME packages to become orphans, because they were installed as dependencies of the task package, and now the task package is gone.

We will be shipping updates to alleviate this issue. But for now, yes, just don't run --auto-orphans unless you're very confident you really don't need the packages it lists any more.

Just an endnote to this topic: I managed to remove beagle, but that didn't help with my problem. I guess it wasn't the same issue that what was cured by removing beagle.

My problem is general slowness of certain programmes (e.g. MCC Software managent takes ages to load after anything I do - even clicking Quit for exiting the tool - I just timed it: it took 10 seconds to close sw management and get back to the main MCC window after I clicked Quit).

Then the list for MDV 2009.0 w/ KDE4 continues:

- I lost window decoration colors (the window decorations are even duller when active than when inactive) in 3D-land (have to live without that now)

- for some reason I cannot play Doom3 anymore (even though I did manage to play it initially after installing 2009.0) as the screen goes empty (no signal to my screen). This same applies to various other games as well (like tuxracer).

I'm seriously thinking of getting back to KDE 3 (the version I had in 2008.1).

But that's something that we could continue over another topic. This one is closed (the libbeable1 issue).