Mandrive One Installation Crash

Guest humpus

Just yesterday I decided to switch from windows to linux, and Mandriva seemed the best way to go.

I downloaded Mandriva here, burnt the iso image and restarted my computer.

The cd loaded instandly, with the kernel message loading, continuing to the next screen. In the bottom left corner of the screen I could see the loading progress, but before it filled up entirely, my screen turned black and everything went quiet...

I tried installing with another language, adjusting the resolution of the screen, etc. Nothing worked.

The cd is fine btw, I can browse easily through it without any problems.

I'm trying to install Mandriva on a Sony Vaio VGN-FE21H.

I really hope you guys can help me.

Hi humpus, and welcome to the forum! :) And also, welcome to the world of Linux! :thumbs:

The first thing you can do is verify the .iso image you have downloaded against the md5sum provided by the site you downloaded the cd image from.

Then the next thing is to confirm that you did burn it as an .iso image (which I think you must have, if you were able to start the installation process).

The third thing to check is the md5 checksum of the burn you have done. I mean checking the cd you have just burned against the md5sum. Sometimes, even if the burnspeed has been OK, the process makes a tiny mistake (burn error) and the cd is a coaster (worthless as an installation media anyway).

The ability to browse through the cd is not an indication that the cd is faultless. Always check the md5sum.