Hard disk problem -- how can I check it?

Guest rodvil

Hello!

I'm realy new to Linux and Mandriva 2009 and, although I have been reading a lot of stuff on the web, I will ask you to explain things the easy way, please!

This is the situation: I think my laptop hard disk is not doing so well. The general speed of the computer seems slower than normal and when it goes into Hibernation or Suspend it crashes on startup. Also when I try to shut down sometimes it crashes and doesn't finish the shutdown.

This was happening also when I had the Vista installed before, but I thought it was a Windows problem. Since I was fed up with Windows I decided to change.

But now the problem continues...

So my question is:

is there any simple way to check if the problem is from the hard disk? Is there any program I can run (like scandisk or something..) that can identify the problem and correct it?

My laptop is quite new, so I can send it back and try to have the disk replaced but this would mean I would loose my "office" for a month or so and I'm still not sure it is a hardware or OS problem!

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for your help...

Rodvil

Welcome aboard. :)

Do you know the brand of your harddisk? (Western Digital, Samsung, Toshiba,...) If yes, check the vendors homepage. Usually they do have some diagnostical tools available for checking the drive thoroughly. The description of your problem can be caused by a faulty harddrive but also from a faulty power management or bad RAM (you can check the integrity of your RAM by running the Memtest86 tool). Thus I would check all three things and/or send it in for repairs.

If the same issues are occurring no matter the OS, it's a hardware problem. Based on the issue with suspend, I would guess it's a RAM issue. Download memtest86 as arctic suggested, and if it comes up with errors, ship it back - if you don't do it now, the problem could get worse, and eventually your warranty will be expired.

Hello!

Thanks for the help, guys, but unfortunately it is still not solved.

I have run the Memtest86 and I have run also Seatools (I have a seagate hd), both said everything is fine with the hardware!

How can I check the power management, like you mentioned?

Or, what other problem can I have for the system to crash when I try to restart or when it tries to recover from hibernation?

If it is not harware can I be pure coincidence that it was doing a similar thing on Windows Vista and Mandriva 2009... :)

The only thing I fully coppied from one OS to the other was the Thunderbird profiles and registry, but I doubt that could be it...

Thanks anyway!

Rodvil