geforce 5200 graphics card in mandriva 2009 + yum?

tetsujin29

Hi, I am trying to install the 256MB geforce video card on my intel celeron machine runnng mandriva 2009. I am able to boot into level init3 but whenever I start displaymanager the screen goes blank.

I read that I need to install the NVIDIA driver using the yum command.

yum install nvidia-glx kernal-module-nvidia-'(uname -r)'

However that command is not installed and I am unable to urpmi it (failed to install, need updated sources, and also failed to update sources).

Is there an alternative to yum or how could I get the installation to work? I find that even when I plug the VGA adapter back to my old graphics slot, the screen just goes blank now....

HELP!

Don't panic. :)

At the command prompt, run as root XFdrake and set up your graphics card again. There is an open-source nv driver available, choose that one for now and restart the graphical server or your whole system. When that is done, add with easyurpmi the PLF repositories, then install the proprietary nvidia drivers - if you want full 3D support.

Mandriva does not use yum (this package manager is used in Fedora and Red Hat based distros!) but urpmi. ;)

I'm surprised to here the test option being a bit choosy Adam. I have always used it and found it to work. Just lucky I guess. I do find it useful as I invariably work with twin screens on a Nvidia FX5200. I must congratulate you guys on the packaging as installing the drivers, kernel is a breeze now. Thinking what I went through to install Nvidia a few releases back. I actually compiled the kernel for 2008.1. Maybe because I didn't look close enough at the repos. :D

Well you seem to have dug yourself into a hole here. My suggestion is :-

Boot up into safe mode only.

At the prompt

cd /etc/X11
ls -l ( the l is a lowercase L)

Here you will see a bunch of xorg.conf files, some with a backup extension or mdvxxx extension. That is mdv with a number following it.

Now you can either delete your current xorg.conf or rename it to something else, whichever you do it wants to go. Look for the xorg.conf.mdvxxx with the oldest date and

mv xorg.conf.mdvxxx xorg.conf

This should give you a working GUI desktop as it was when you installed. Reboot.

When in the Graphical Desktop, launch drackonf(aka Configure Your Computer). When that is up and running select your software management and remove anything you have installed with regards to Nvidia, drivers, kernels etc. Once the dust has settled and you have your software listing back select

dkms-nvidia173

which is the module for Geforce FX cards, and apply. From there answer the prompts that follow with OK. This should install the correct 'devel' packages and the 'dkms' package for you.

If they are successful, I see no reason why they shouldn't, quit software management and open hardware and 'Set up the graphical server'.

Your card should already be selected, either way select it even if it is already selected, and you will then be asked if you wish to use a 'propriety driver' answer yes and the necessary packages will be installed. Just follow the instructions to logout and back in again when all this is finished.

You should now be back in the graphical desktop with the new driver and nvidia kernel installed.

This you can check by looking at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf for the driver nvidia as opposed to nv .

I hope this helps.

So I selected the NVIDIA FX group, and then configure the NVIDIA card. XFdrake notified me that there is a proprietary driver available. Upon selecting yes to update, I get the message "couldnot install the dkms-nvidia173 package!"... Please advise!

That's an internet connection problem. If you haven't added the online repos, add them: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available . When running XFdrake do that from terminal, and report any error messages you see in terminal.

silver: to be honest it's just my experience - from quite a long time back - and is based on no recorded evidence whatsoever; I may have been imagining the whole thing, or screwed it up myself somehow. But still, I never use test, I just write the options I want and then 'test' it by running it. :)