Adobe Flash 10 or embedded video player problem

JOE_X!!!

I have always watched videos on Youtube without particular problem, however last week while browsing thru another site I got a message :

"You have an older version of Flash Player installed, to watch this video download the newest version of Adobe Flash Player -10 from here." So I followed the link and downloaded the package for Linux, however nothing happened. This is their site: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

When I restarted the computer I noticed that I can no longer view Videos on Youtube because the embedded player does not appear and neither sound nor picture is heard or seen.

What could be the problem? And how can I fix it?

You can download the source, deb, rpm, etc. I don't know which one you tried but here is the link for the .rpm file. Try that, as it's easier. flash 10 .rpm file

Yes I have done that and I get a message from Software Installer that package is already installed.

However after browsing thru some of the Youtube forums I saw that some of the people who ahve also downloaded Adobe10 encounter the same problem.

and the only solution I see given there is to shift to one of the older versions of Flash Player. So how can I downgrade.?

By the way does anyone of you use "Youtube" and has similar problems?

To explain this step by step we need to know:

What version of Mandriva are you using? 2008.0, 2008.1, 2009.0? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What desktop are you using? Gnome, KDE 3.x, KDE 4.x, or what?

What version of Firefox are you using?

Click on "Menu", go to "Tools" and somewhere in there you will find an icon that looks like a TV that's turned off (black screen). It probably has the name "Konsole" or at least something like that. When you open it, it is just a black screen with one short written line on it. At the end of the line type "firefox" and see what happens. The exact name to write can be found by right clicking on the firefox icon, looking at the "icon settings" (or something like that), and then looking at the "permissions". There should be a command line there, stating what the command is to start firefox (when you press the icon!).

If we knew the information Greg asked for, it would be easier to help. Even at that, the more information you give, the more you can be helped.

Edited by Kieth

That's a very old version of Firefox, it would help to upgrade to a newer version. Anyway, open your application menu > tools > click on konsole. Then type in firefox and hit enter, then go to youtube and try to watch a vid. Close firefox, and please post any errors in the konsole here for us to see.

Edit: I didn't see Kieth's post. :)

Yes, that's what's suppose to happen!! Now with the new firefox window, go to You Tube and watch a film. Then copy the contents that are in Konsole here.

Eh, that is the point that I can't watch any video - ablank screen appears on the place of the embedded player.

As for the Konsole it is empty -- there is nothing to copy, that is what is in it:

[user@localhost home]$ firefox

[user@localhost home]$