Video codecs

addr

In 64 bit KDE Kaffeine I can play everything fine (the suggested gstreamer packages when it first opens seemed to do the trick.)

However in Gnome I can play most commercial DVD's but not a first jump skydiving video which was probably made on a Windows computer at the dive centre. The introduction is obviously commercial and that plays but the rest doesn't.

I have lib64dvdcss2 installed but don't know if the win32-codecs are since I can't find them. As far as I can tell all the gstreamer stuff is installed.

The best way to be sure of what you need is to try playing the video with mplayer at a console:

mplayer (filename)

at the console it will give you (along with a lot of other stuff) detailed information on exactly what audio and video codec are used in the file. That will let us figure out what package you need to install.

I had a problem like this yesterday too. I got an mp4 file which plays in mplayer but without sound. The error message says

Trying to force audio codec driver family libmad...
Requested audio codec family [faad] (afm=faad) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6134706D.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound

I also tried vlc, totem and kaffeine with the same result.

Even after installing win32-codecs, faad2, libfaad2, faac, libfaac0, ffmpeg, and basically everything else I could find, I still got this error and no sound from mplayer. But then I tried kaffeine again and now it works, including sound. :D

Strangely, vlc (which is often more successful at wacky formats) still gives the amazingly helpful error message:

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "mp4a". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

And Totem can't play either video or audio.

Don't think so, just the normal Mdv ones as far as I know:

$ rpm -qa | grep mplayer
mplayer-1.0-1.rc2.10.3mdv2008.1

$ rpm -qa | grep vlc
vlc-plugin-a52-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1
libvlc2-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1
libvlccore0-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1
vlc-plugin-ogg-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1
vlc-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1
vlc-plugin-pulse-0.9.3-1mdv2008.1

Well I can't understand it.

I have the plf repos enabled and have from the start , neither win-32 codecs nor mplayer are showing. However Kaffeine is so I downloaded that and it plays the video fine so I'm OK.

I'd still like to know why I can't find those things...because I am on 64 bit maybe?

Thanks for all your help.

Viva Kaffeine!

Viva Kaffeine!

Caffeine is just a xine frontend, so it is just the way xine-lib is built. And anyway, xine-lib is using the same win32codecs mplayer.hu is providing.

Mplayer from plf should work OK. For some reason it seems that the so-called proprietary formats were disabled at compile time from the regular mplayer build.

They're from the Mandriva repos, you need the ones from the PLF that are compiled with more audio/video support options.
Cool, thanks, that fixed it! :thumbs:

I had no idea there was another mplayer in plf, I thought that either a package was available from the Mandriva repos or it was only available via plf. And I thought that a lot of mplayer's extra abilities came from the extra packages (codecs) installed on top, I thought it was all so modular that you could add anything to it.

Thanks for the tip!

neddie: due to the way mplayer works, it itself has to be expressly built with support for the patent-affected stuff.

there are quite a lot of packages with both MDV and PLF versions available; stuff where patent-affected bits can be enabled or disabled at compile time. The version in MDV repos will have it disabled, the version in PLF repos will have it enabled.