SMC2635W driver

Guest PhunKEE

Guest PhunKEE

Good Day Guys,

Does any one have a solution to resolve the installation of the driver of SMC2635W for mandrave live installation "free desto" on 2008 spring version?

I have my old lap top IBM i-series laptop with the PCMCIA smc2635W and Mandrake 2008 live installation. I could not get the driver installed. I have search the web and they talked about NDISwrapper and so on. Apparently i could not get anything going.

I'm an newbies and idiot to linux. I have know about the console and command promp. Could any kind soul provide me an step by step guide.

Thanks

Guest PhunKEE

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried to download the driver from http://www.admtek.com.tw/download/ADM8211.htm and use the latest 2.6 version if not mistaken.

Once complete i have unpack it and i't stuck. could not use the "make" command as mention and going no where.

On the other hand , i have read something about NDISWrapper and i have download it from and also download window driver. So I'm suppose to install the driver but i could not get the ndiswrapper to work as well.

So in a nut-shell you could say i have done nothing to make the SMC2635W to work with the linux.

I'm a PC user since 1995 and i'm fermilliar with command promt in dos and a little about the konsole as they are almost the same.

Other than that I'm a newbies in linux. but if with guided step, i would able to get around it.

Thanks

You generally shouldn't start out by trying to install a driver like that. It may come to that in the end but there's easier avenues to explore first. :)

Have you tried just running the Mandriva network card configuration tool - it's called drakconnect, and you can find it in the Mandriva Control Center on the Network tab, labelled something like "Add a new interface"? Just run that and follow it through and see where that gets you. If you can't get it going, post back with some details about exactly what happens when you use that tool. Thanks!

Guest PhunKEE

Good day guys,

Thank you for the update. I have always assume that Linux will auto load and start all services and devices. So I'm partially right. The driver for the SMC2635W was loaded into the mandrake when i install. The only thing as mention by the guru is that I have not done the setup in drakkeconnect "duhhh" silly me.

So once i open the network connection and configure my wifi, I got it running. After a few tweak and tried i finally got it.I'm using a WEP encryption wifi so after the ID and encryption I still could not get it to communicate. Hence i finally realize that i need to "uncheck" the DHC for auto "yXXX" setting. so after removing that option I'm set to go and clear to surf.

The only hold back is that I'm using it on a IBM lappy that is about 6 years old. 128mb and 400/500 Mhz processor. Hence my net surfing seems to be very slow. I assume must be the graphic that taking up the memory and ram, so I disable some graphic enhancement and hopefully it's better.

Guess some of your guys must be wondering why am i going so much hassle for an old machine? well it's for my folks to get online and book budget air-line and some some info checking. so they only need a basic system which can go online and most important, hassle free with spam and virus attach.

That is why i resulted to use linux based as i beleive it's the safest and stabil OS to work on.

Thanks