Creating Install CDs

Guest colonel

Guest colonel

Hiya everyone.

I have had problems downloading the iso images from different websites. The checksum was always different to what it should have been. Somehow it was being corrupted. So I downloaded all the individual files in their respective directories.

How do I go about creating Install CDs? I cant seem to find anything anywhere about what way I can go about doing it.

I intend to setup a network eventually, and it would be easier to have install cds. So I need to create these install cds from the files that I have already downloaded.

How do I go about doing that? Obviously they would resemble cds burnt from the iso image files.

Please help!

The short answer would be to recreate the directory structure of the ISOs and then simply burn everything to a cd. However, there will be a small problem with this approach - the CD that you create will not be bootable. I do not know how to make a Linux CD bootable.

Here is a suggestion: if you are planning on installing onto a bunch of computers, why not just buy the CDs? This will provide you with non-corrupted, bootable CDs and printed manuels as well. Just an idea.

What kind of internet connection do you have and what are you using to download the files? Also, what OS are you using for the download?

Guest colonel

Thanks for your reply, & yes I did think of that.

But I was going to try Mandrake on my home computer first, and just experiment with heaps of stuff. I am still a newbie and was wanting to give Linux a go because of its stability, etc. If Mandrake is not the right one for me, I would just be wasting money by purchasing all the stuff.

I have 128k ADSL connection, and using CuteFTP to download it. OS is Win2000. I will try another FTP program and see if that makes a difference.

Some download sites choke on M$ download managers, particularly those with resume features. I abandoned the use of CuteFTP when it went spyware so I can't specifically speak to that, but I would try direct download from a different site as a start. Others choke on firewalls such as @Guard (Norton Internet Security) and Zonealarm. As far as laying out a lot of money is concerned, there are several commercial sources of burned cd's such as Cheapbytes and Linux Central in the USA .

Counterspy

Can you acces the drive where you downloaded them directly?

Then you can make a bootfloppy, that takes a path for installing, or take a bootfloppy that connects via net and installes.

You are not forced, taking the isos.

Try a Google Advanced Search with 100 items on the keywork el torito (may be one word) for instructions on how to create a bootable CD. In line with qeldroma's suggestion, read the Tutorial on Install disk 1 in Windows for alternative methods of installation including hard drive as well as network installs.

Counterspy

Guest colonel

Yes I can access the drive.

But I solved the problem by trying to download the isos again using another software - Smartftp.

And it works! Got 1 & 3 ok. The checksum all matched up! And the last one is coming down now.

So there was something wrong with Cuteftp. It was obviously corrupting the data or something.

Hopefully others can sort this problem out by swapping to another download program.

Next step is to install it and start playing around with it. No doubt I will have to come back here when I do that!

Thanks for all the help guys!