Can't open display

Johnny Ljunggren

Hello

I've got an old machine running a specialized program that I want displayed on my computer. This has worked before and also works from another machine. These are the steps I do:

1. On my machine: xhost +

2. telnet oldmachine

3. setenv DISPLAY <my machine>:0.0

4. xclock

Error: Can't open display: <my machine>:0.0

Doing the exact same steps from another machine works, so there must be something odd with my setup.

I forgot to add that ssh is not an option
That's odd. Telnet is an option, but SSH isn't? SSH is the better option, and you can make it run on the Telnet port if the port assignment is an issue.
Getting a login box popup whenever I view this post.
That's SoulSe's fault. One of the images in my sig is on his site, apparently he's changed something. I'll remove the image and let him know. Edited by tyme

This is how you do it:

export DISPLAY=ip_addr:0.0

replacing ip_addr with ip of your machine that you want to send xclock to or whatever.

then on your machine, you then do this to allow it:

xhost ip_addr

where ip_addr is the ip of the machine you are sending xclock from. Also, you have to check in gdm-setup or as it's sometimes called Login window, go to the security tab and make sure that "deny tcp connections to xserver" is not enabled, otherwise the connection will be blocked.

For example, this is how I do it if I want to send an application to my laptop from the server:

laptop = 10.1.1.10

server = 10.1.1.2

on the server:

export DISPLAY=10.1.1.10:0.0

on the laptop:

xhost 10.1.1.2

and then from the server I type:

xclock

and xclock launches on my laptop.

This is a really old machine that is on the verge to collapse, but until then we have to cope with what is on it.....
o i c :)

the only thing that you may want to check is ports, and also, IIRC, there is an option to not allow X to receive connections from other machines - you need XDMCP set up. Unfortunately it's been years since I've done something like this (haven't had a need), so I can't be positive what to check. Anyone else know?

Edited by tyme