x server

Guest ompjr

x windows setup

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 as my first foray into Linux. Everything went great (nice install interface), but when I "startx" to look at the desktop environment, it comes up with a mouse pointer with what looks like a barcode trailing alonside it, and hashmarks all over the desktop, along with several vertical lines running down through the desktop from top to bottom. I'm running an ASUS motherboard w/ an S3 Virge/GX video card w/ 4 mB memory on the card. The appropriate server for the card is supposed to be XF86_SVGA, and I installed that. The monitor is a Dell M781s, and I entered all the scan freq.s per handbook. I tried swapping out the monitor for a Samsung and changed the scan settings, but no joy. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Check out your video card on the Mandrake Hardware List here: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3 . I wonder if you have enough memory on that card. If it is not on the list, there is another Linux Hardware List you can check. Find it here: http://lhd.zdnet.com/ . You may need a new video card to run the graphics required by the various window managers. If you do reach that conclusion, Nvidia has made drivers available and seems to be the preferred product. ATI cards are also supported but double check before you consider these.

Counterspy

thanks for the info...I looked at the list, and the S3 Virge/DX is listed, though the GX isn't. I've ordered a new video care, as I figured that one was old enough to warrant replacement. Not quite Civil War era, but close..