M2009 Dell D630 HD spin-up

darek

Hi,

I just installed M2009 PP on Dell D630. Weird thing when Mandriva boots up the hard drive starts spinning like crazy. I check the services and the laptop mode tools are stopped cannot be start from the MCC. Would it be the cause? I haven't had this kind problem with previous versions of Mandriva on a Dell laptop although it was a different model

appreciate any help

Darek

The service laptop-mode is set to start on boot but it is always stopped. This service is not a persistent daemon; it's a service that just runs at startup, does some stuff, and then stops. So it's normal that it shows as stopped once boot is complete. If it showed OK during bootup, then it did its job fine. You can do 'service laptop-mode status' to check.

Is the service "lisa" enabled? Try stopping this service.

Hi thanks for a replay, looks like my initial impression was wrong. If it was a HDD there should be more clicking noise and the HDD LED should stay on. It s probably one of the system fans which is located close to the HDD and is giving this steady humming noise once the boot hits "starting udev" point. I've found a tip that D630 has its own "8kutils" tools to manage power issues. There is a program "8kfan" there as well but no matter what command issued it gives me the status -1 1. Do you have any experience with this king of issue?

regards

Darek

Hi,

Maybe it will someone struggling with the same problem, I've found a solution on the web:

"i solved the issue by opening up the volume control and selecting the "HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)", then hit the "Recording" tab. on the first field "MUX", either slide the controls to the bottom or (what i did) simply click on the icons at the bottom to "X" them out, turning them off. i don't know anything about recording, so i have no idea what MUX is for, but for now, it solves the "hissing" problem and it has had no effect on my sound system in any other way."

I guess the case is solved unless there some more elegant way to solve

thank you

Darek

• 1 month later...
Guest Grzesiek W

Hi,

Not sure if this is more elegant, but also works (at least on mdv 2009.0 one + GNOME):

- open MCC; Hardware; Sound Configuration

- then Advanced button

- and hit "Reset Sound Mixer to Defaults"

Noise gone away after that on my PC, and I could freely turn on/off option described in previous post.

I did not notice impact on sound, but I did not tried sound recording to be honest.

Caution: Options' names are not literal, I'm guessing as I use localized version.

Regards,

Grzegorz.

Edited by Grzesiek W