Splash [solved]

AussieJohn

In 2008-Spring from day one, the Slash Screen has always been selected as Splash=Silent. Been the same over all 8 or 9, or more, reinstalls.

No error messages come up and in the text splash screen that runs, there are no Red colour Failed indications that normally would trigger a text splash whenever they occurred in earlier Mandriva versions.

Any ideas anyone ???. It's not a big issue but there must be some reason for it and I would hope to find out what it is.

Cheers. John.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2009 (kde3) I was getting it also until I successfully installed the Proprietary Nvidia driver. Then the splash screen was at last silent but the screen has an ugly pixelated colouring in which the colouring is in bands instead of proper vertical gradient, which is OK since it doesn't effect anything important..

Cheers. John.

Thanks Arctc.

Just tried that but made no difference so have reset it back to silent.

I have been wondering if it has anything to do with the text format size. eg. 800x600 as compared with the 1280x1024 I select since I am using a 24" LCD Monitor.

Again, any ideas from anyone, perhaps Adam ???. :)

Cheers. John.

Correct, remember that I do not have it set at 800x600, I have it set at 1280x1024 to reduce the size of the text.

It may be that the ability to select other than 800x600 is automatically triggering the verbose mode and thus making the Silent mode totally useless.

Might as well not offer the Silent option if it is only usable in the default 800x600 format.

Cheers. John.

A follow up.

Tried the 800x600= large text...no silent

600x400= large text Seems same as 800x600...no silent

1600x1200= large text. Obviously does not register...no silent

1024x768= small text...no silent

1280x1024= smallest text...still no silent

I am leaving it on 1280x1024.

I should also mention that the 24" monitor is wide screen 1920x1200 which is not the same ratio as all the above. I wonder if that has anything to do with it ???.

I don't remember the previous 20" lcd Monitor which was 1600x1200 giving me this trouble with 2008-Spring.

Cheers. John.

I should also mention that the 24" monitor is wide screen 1920x1200 which is not the same ratio as all the above. I wonder if that has anything to do with it ???.
I don't think graphical boot programs support widescreen resolutions right now, but I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Hello Adam.

When Grub opens and one selects the OS or whatever one wants. The boot up used to have a background image and a progress bar appear right up until the Log in screen. As I understand it, splash=silent is what enables this to happen. Also I understand that selecting splash-verbose means that instead of the background pic and progress bar you get a full text run up.

No matter what I select regarding splash=silent, I always get a full text bootup. As you can see in my previous post, I have tried all the text formats listed in MCC....Boot.....Advanced and the problem (well not a real problem in the important category) remains unaltered.

The Grub Graphic mode itself is AOK.I am also aware that during the boot-up, that if an error occurs then the silent mode is over-ridden but there is no indication of any kind that there is any error nor is there any Failed ( usually shown in Red ) showing at anytime.

I hope you might have a suggestion or two.

Cheers. John.

Tyme, your comment is expressing what I am suspecting is the case. JB.

Edited by AussieJohn

is it still showing the background image during bootup, or is it just white text on a black screen?

what's the grub entry (in /boot/grub/menu.lst, i believe) for Mandriva look like? does it point to an initrd image? is the initrd image in the referenced place?

Hello Tyme. It is white text on black Background.

Here is the Boot menu.lst..............

timeout 10

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu

default 0

title Mandriva-2008-Spring

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva-2008-Spring root=UUID=6811b54b-2b62-4ce2-b034-8b01ee10e605 splash=silent vga=794

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb.img

title Mandriva-2009

kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-desktop-0.rc8.2mnb BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva-2009 root=UUID=457ccdd2-0479-41dc-9d40-7602a7cbfaf7 splash=silent vga=775

initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.27-desktop-0.rc8.2mnb.img

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=UUID=6811b54b-2b62-4ce2-b034-8b01ee10e605 failsafe noapic nolapic acpi=ht

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title memtest-2.01

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memtest-2.01.bin BOOT_IMAGE=memtest-2.01 noapic nolapic splash=silent acpi=ht

It looks normal to me but you may spot something.

John.