Kde 4.1 in 2008.1

Guest Ljas

I installed KDE4.1 using these instructions:

1. Ensure that you have at least 1GB of free space on /, and especially /opt as KDE 4 packages will be installed in /opt

2. To be sure that everything will be installed cleanly, you may want to remove previous KDE 4.0.x package :

urpme qt4-common; urpme libkdecore4; urpme libkdebase4; urpme kdenetwork4-core; urpme kdelibs4-core; urpme kde4-nsplugins

3. Once done, you can visit the Mandriva page on kde.org 4.1 release page. There you will find the list of mirrors from where you can download KDE 4.1 packages for Mandriva

4. To have the complete URL needed for urpmi.addmedia, you just need to right-click on one of the mirrors, and do "Copy Link Location", then paste the URL after the urpmi.addmedia command and append RPMS/i586 just after the URL as follow :

urpmi.addmedia KDE41 MIRROR_URL/RPMS/i586

5. For example for the lip6 mirror, you will have the following command :

urpmi.addmedia KDE41 ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/X11/kde/stable/4.1....driva/RPMS/i586

6. Now you can install qt4 4.4.0 packages : urpmi -a libqt; urpmi libqtxml4 libqtsvg4

7. After this, you just need to install the task-kde4 metapackage to install KDE 4.1 : urpmi task-kde4

8. Several questions will be asked, please be sure to select each time the KDE 4.1.0 or 4.0.98 packages and the Qt 4.4.0 ones.

9. If some packages failed to be installed, please do not hesitate to launch again the previous urpmi command. At the end everything will be fine.

The installation went fine, but when I start it I get: 'could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation'.

I've also removed kde3.5 (don't ask :wall: )

Anyway, now I don't have any kind of working GUI, and I'd like to get one working, either 3.5 or 4.1.

Any help would be appreciated

I'd follow the instructions to remove the failed KDE 4 install in point 2.

Then, I'd just simply do:

urpmi task-kde

providing of course that you have all your repos configured correctly, this should get you back to where you were.

Hmm, maybe your repos are not set up to install it. Click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and then set up all the repos so you have access to the software. You can then download and install the packages from the internet using the gui application manager, or using the urpmi command like I mentioned earlier.

Hope that does it :)

Hmm, maybe your repos are not set up to install it. Click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and then set up all the repos so you have access to the software. You can then download and install the packages from the internet using the gui application manager, or using the urpmi command like I mentioned earlier.

Hope that does it :)

That should do it, except that when earlier the kde4 command opened a really simple GUI, now for some reason it does nothing. I guess the setting up can't be done in my other OS, vista? Firefox doesn't really work without a GUI.. :mellow:

I believe the package names are task-kde3 or task-kde4, not just task-kde.

none of those commands do anything

First, make sure your repos are up to date then type in this from a terminal:

urpmi kdebase kdeutils kdeaddons kdebase-kdm-config-file kdebase-kdm

before saying "yes" just make sure it wants to install kde3.5.X and not kde4.X. This should get you back to the older version of kde.

• 3 weeks later...