What kind of all-in-one printer works with 2008.1?

banjo

My son has an F380 that he had in college and it is sitting in the corner of his room right now. According to the HPLIP web page it is supported by the HPLIP that I have on this computer, so I think I will set it up.

The good part is that I was in WalMart this afternoon and I saw ink cartridges for that printer. I also found them online at the HP web site. So if I can get that printer to work, I should be good to go. I will also look into the PSC 2355 just in case he wants his printer back.

Thanks to everyone for the help and ideas.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

If Mandriva don't release an rpm for HPLIP in 2008.1 you have to manually install it yourself. As I mentioned above.

It's not intimately coupled with the OS, you just assume the latest version should be available to you and compiled for you without you doing anything more. The assumption is arrogance in my eyes for all the people that assist you with your problems and give you an operating system which you didn't have to even pay for.

I see nothing "arrogant" about his post. What I DO see is a lot of FRUSTRATION. As an Admin, you should be able to tell the difference.

The assumption is arrogance if you read the sentence properly. Being an admin has nothing to do with it.

You assume that everything should work for you. Would you think the same if you had Windows 3.1 on your computer that you should be able to use the newest printers? Maybe not a great example, since Window 3.1 is donkeys years old. So how about Windows 95? Or Windows 98? You won't find printer drivers for them even more. Admittedly they are much older than a release of Mandriva 2008.1.

But, if Mandriva package a version of HPLIP that isn't that old in reality, yet a brand new printer is released, you assume it should work with HPLIP and are annoyed because it doesn't. Yet it works in Windows right? Well, with Windows you have to pay for everything. And in the Linux world, you don't have to pay for anything. But the assumption is there that the same level of support should be provided.

That's the point your all missing. People provide their time and effort for free to give you an operating system, and you bitch and moan about it. Yes, frustration is a way to put it. But, like I said, the option is there to compile it manually if you want it - but it seemed that this was not an option available. You wanted the package to be available, whilst you sit back and do nothing.

This is not directed at banjo, but this is generalising now. Perhaps if you start paying or contributing to the Linux community, then perhaps you'll get what you want and there will be less frustration. The more people that contribute, the more people will help this "frustration" as you all so put it.

As a Linux user, you should be able to realise this.

I did get a printer/scanner installed and working. It took me a while to get around to this because I still have that Day Job which eats up so many hours of my life.

What I did was "borrow" my son's HP F380 All-In-One which is reported to work with the HPLIP that is already installed on my Mandy 2008.1. I plugged it in and the system detected it. After a couple of false starts because of the error "urpmi database is locked" I rebooted and continued to install the printer with both CUPS and Sane.

It took a half hour or more to install the printer because it was downloading some packages from the repositories and would hang on each dialog box waiting for something. I suspect that the mirrors were busy. Anyway, the installer finally came back and said "Done".

I found the HP control panel with no trouble and printed a test page. Here's the best part. This printer has been sitting in the corner of the room idle since sometime last Spring, so I expected at best to hear the head moving and see the paper go through, but I expected a mess to come out on the page.

The printer put out a very nice test page. Yay! I turned the test page over onto the scanner and scanned it back in using Kooka and it worked fine. I might be an HP fan again after seeing that performance. I had given up on HP printers after my $350 HP 660C was the worst POS I had ever owned. But that was a long time ago, and this printer seems to work fine.

Thanks to everyone on the MUB for helping me solve this problem.

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I'm gonna work on getting the scanning functionality working under HPLIP. I got the HPLIP toolbox installed, so maybe that will help.

You'll find for networking the Deskjet F380 it works under Linux, as you cannot network it under Windows. I tried, but it wouldn't have it. At least, if it was shared from a Linux machine. Maybe shared from Windows is easier, but there's only one machine with windows at home - my wife's laptop :)