Guest philipd

Guest philipd

I run the install, dual boot with XP,

Language ok

License ok

Partitioning ok

Installing ok

Users ok

Bootloader - never arrives! just sits there CD won't eject, no response from the keyboard. mouse still moves though.

Why why why why??

I have tried this 5 times, but no luck.

anyone else had this?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest loupblanc

Yes I have the exact same problem and was coming here to figure out if someone had found a solution. I'm not on a laptop but on a newly built machine. It just gives me a blank page before reaching the bootloader like it gets confused by the existing XP boot and doesn't know what to do but doesn't tell you what's wrong either.

If anyone has any clue that would be quite helpful.

There's probably some hardware that is confusing the installer. For example, I know I always have problems when installing Linux on my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501. I do manage, though.

Sometimes, the solution is to try one, or several, of the proposed additionnal boot options (noapic, nolapic, nomsi, irqpoll…); sometimes, changing the installation method does the trick, eg using One instead of Free, or the other way around; sometimes, the answer is to do a bare minimal install, with little more than X, or even no X at all, and then use urpmi to add task-x11 and task-gnome (for example). I hope this will give you some ideas. Good luck!

Yves.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest loupblanc

You're probably right, I suspect it has issues with my on-board nVidia graphic chipset. So since I really can't find a way around it (It worked again somehow after I posted my original query but now it just won't work at-all), I'll just put 2008 back on and wait until a better version is released that doesn't give me so much hassle. :wall:

Shame really, it just reminds me of Vista :/