error installing MDV 2009 GNOME edtion [solved]

Mr Pockets151

So I'm trying to install the 2009 GNOME edition but when I try to boot from the CD I get a "kernel panic error"(well, I get the splash screen then all the modules try to load and it finally freezes with the last error being "kernel panic" could not mount. Then my keyboard freezes up with the caps and scroll light leds flashing.)

I did a search for this in the forums but it looks like there was no solution. Anyway I just want to do a fresh install of MDV GNOME 2009.

My specs= INTEL E2200 @ 2.20 GHz

4 GB RAM

XFX 8600 GEforce.

I just want to know the best way to do a fresh install of 2009 w/GNOME. I am able to install the KDE 4.1 version fine with the ONE CD(don' like 4.1). But I don't see the option for GNOME.

thisme2.jpgw1024.png

this2jv7.jpgw1024.png

Sorry if the error is not clear from the picture. My photo skills are really the pits.

Edited by Mr Pockets151

I would have to use the FREE DVD to get GNOME? I'll try the FREE later today.
If you're planning to install, you can install from One and then install GNOME once booted into your new installation. Just refresh your rpm repo's and use the software installer.

(this comment is more for others who may come along, as you've downloaded Free already, and your original issue appears to be a bad burn or download)

Edited by tyme

If you're planning to install, you can install from One and then install GNOME once booted into your new installation. Just refresh your rpm repo's and use the software installer.

How would I go about removing KDE 4? I guess I can always install my 2008.1 again then do an upgrade. Reason being is that I'm trying to keep KDE 3.5.10 w/2009. So I wanted to do a fresh install of GNOME only. Then add kde 3.5.10 to that.

I can install Mandriva 2009.0 KDE 4.1 easily, but when I tried to get back down to KDE 3.5.10 I had problems removing 4.1. That's basically the big deal.

Edited by Mr Pockets151

How would I go about removing KDE 4?
I believe there's a metapackage that you can remove to do this, but I'm not positive.
I guess I can always install my 2008.1 again then do an upgrade.
When going between releases, fresh installs are usually less likely to have issues.