ProFTPD

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

w00t ok, then all I need to know is how to get it working. Do I need Sambi for it to work? I don't know exactly what Sambi is or does, and how it all ties in together. Right now I'm just being blasted with info from the internet and all these different components are just sorta.. there... within Linux.. and I"m not sure what to make of half of it. Anyway, if you need to know my network setup, it's easy. I'm on DSL. The line from the modem is hooked up to a router. The linux box is hooked up to the router, and there is nothing else to it. I get a 192 addy as the router acts as a DHCP (that's what a router does, which you probably allready know). Anyway, I guess in order to have ProFTPD you have to have networking of some sorts installed, and I have no idea about any of that, allthough I would LOVE to set up my network as there are a few other comps hooked up to the router as well, but unfortunately they are set up as a windows workgroup using netBEUI, not domain/client. Anyway, that's for another topic, but about this Sambi thing, it worries me cuz if it's actually installed then I have no clue how to configure it to use ProFTPD. Well, any more info and I'm gonna be repeating myself, so all I can say from here is that my Mandrake is the stock install, no updates or patches or anything, and as you know it's 9.1. I didn't even realize that it came with ProFTPD untill someone told me how to access it. I tried downloading it from the net and installing it, but I have no clue as to how to install a .tar file (again, another topic). Thanks for any input!

Guest SpaceCadet

I think I figured it out a little bit, in order to have it running it is installed as a service in the DrakXServices console. It is set to load on startup, and it says it was stopped. So I tried to start it and it said "shutdown [failed]" "start proftpd service [failed] (default server allready set)". Any way as to how I can find out what my default server might be so I can shut it down? Also went through some of my services and disabled them such as remote management :)

I can give a quick answer or two at this time.

Samba is not needed to run FTP. It will be needed to connect to your windows machines.

May want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling proftp using the remove software and install software. That might fix anything you changed in the setup.

Did I see somewhere else you have installed webmin. This could be usefull setting all this up?

Are you sticking to using the install CD's for this stuff ?

Guest SpaceCadet

No I have been learning how to download and install files. So far rpm's seem to be very easy to install, so I have been looking for them. I found a wicked little program called gproftpd, which is the gui interface for proftpd. You will need to install version 1.2.8 to be able to install gproftpd. You can download it as an rpm. Anyway you probably know all this LOL but if you don't then it's VERY handy :) It has an interface to add anonymous users and all that. If you don't have it then I might be able to save you the headaches and give you the direct links to both rpms (proftpd and gproftpd).

Samba is used to connect to your other machines on you local area network. This lets you share files from one computer to the next. From what i can gather ProFTP should be used for sharing files to rest of the world. I use samba to play mp3's off my other machines all the time.

Guest SpaceCadet

So can you configure Samba to work with a workgroup, and when you get connected, how does your linux box see the rest of the network? What tool do you use, for example, in windows I use Network Neighbourhood to view my network.

I do, I do

well, for the basics anyway. Still haven't quite figured out how to add a user who can only connect to say an upload or download folder.

Make your users shell /bin/false and make sure that in /etc/shells /bin/false is listed. They should only be able to go now where you specify Scoopy.

OK, we need to get the proftpd service running. I am not sure what else would be running or how to find out. You can try the following using terminal or konsole to see if running or to restart:

service proftpd status

or

service proftp start

or

service proftpd restart

As far as setting up your network, I think as long as you have access to the internet, this should be working then. Once it is up and running... you would be able to connect to this box from another outside of your network using your IP addy+username+password and a FTP client. The 192 addy won't work here.

Once connected, it will put the user into his own /home directory.

Try going to this webpage for your IP address:

http://www.whatismyip.com

Using the gui proftp, I am sure you know, will connect the other way... Your box to someone else's.

Lots more info here:

http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/

Once we get this far... we can take it further to set up like we are both trying for.

I will look into what could be interfering more later (at work and doing this from top of head at the moment)

and Thanks Ronin, will try that soon.

Guest SpaceCadet

OK thanks for the tips :) I think I've figured out a little bit. Last night I managed to set up one user and was able to connect to the folder structure of the FTP site, but when I tried to add another user, the username and password worked but the folder structure of the first user came up. I'm gonna put the FTP services down for a bit and play with linux a little while longer LOL I think I need to figure it out still :D

Guest SpaceCadet

OK here's a question. If I want to run ProFTPD standalone, do I want to shut off all xinetd services? I'm slowly beginning to figure this stuff out. I downloaded gproftpd, but that program doesn't seem to work so hot. I figured out how to add a user and connect that user to her own folder group, but when I tried to make another user to connect to their own folder group, the second user ended up connecting to the first user's site. So I figured, Virtual Servers, I would make a virtual server for each user, but of course gproftpd doesn't know how to handle virtual servers and I ended up trying to configure it through webmin, which turned out to be a huge disaster. Now, I can't make any user connect to anything thru an ftp client, and I have uninstalled both gpro and proftpd and re-installed with the latest rpms. When I go to start gproftpd it keeps coming up with errors and the service stops and starts in an endless loop. Anyway, this aint so easy. I'm totally confused about what kind of user needs to be created in the system in order for proftpd to connect them to their own site thru ftp services. Do I use userdrake to make the users? Or is it something to do with a file where a username and password is specified, which is loaded every time a user connects and the list of users is browsed and authenticated. Do I need a home directory for each user, and if so, then it would make sense to create a user thru userdrake because each user created through that has their own /home/folder by default. Anyway questions questions questions. Take it easy folks I'm wiped right out. Catch ya on the flip side :)

Oh also, anyone know of a tutorial I can go to that explains all this in lamens terms? I have found that most Linux users just give you a list of code or a bunch of commands that don't mean anything to the novice user such as myself. A tutorial that is posted online that describes step by step, with pictures and explanations, is something that this admin needs to see. If anyone has any links, PLEASE by all means share!

Guest SpaceCadet

yaaaay I figured it out. Someone told me in an irc chat that proftpd is allready configured to accept system users to log into the ftp site by default. So I reformatted Linux, as proftpd has MAJOUR problems from me fiddling around with it, and when I logged onto my user I immediately connected to my IP address with the username and password that I logged onto and bingo, I was in. Did the same thing for a few other users that I made afterwards. The only problem now is that when I log in as any user it allows me to browse all the way up to my root directory. I added in the line "DefaultRoot ~", and that is supposed to add a chroot to all my users, but it didn't affect any of my users whatsoever. Do you think changing my security level in Mandrake to a higher level might do the trick? I'm not entirely too sure where to go from here. Thanks!

So can you configure Samba to work with a workgroup, and when you get connected, how does your linux box see the rest of the network?  What tool do you use, for example, in windows I use Network Neighbourhood to view my network.

From Linux, you can browse Windows shares using LinNeighborhood, or you can use Samba to mount them to a mount point on your system, just like any other device.

You can also use Samba to act as a server to allow Windows machines to connect to you. The latest Samba also adds Active Directory support.