I'm A Convert

SilverSurfer60

I never used to like gnome as I felt the icons were rather chunky and basic looking, and the desktop sparse.

Well after having to use gnome on the old laptop I have been rather surprised to say the least. KDE is now off my computers as far as one can be. Obviously there are some apps that rely on kde libs put I can put up with that.

On another note this gnome thing flies on my pc. It's staying until maybe kde can hold up the white flag and say :oops: a mistake has been made. Sorry to all the coders who worked hard on the creation, but it just is not ready for use yet.

Long live Gnome.

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

I'm also a convert, but to XFCE4.

Gnome is simply slow, and severely lacking in crucial DE elements: no central Gnome control center- the accesible settings are aimed for pure idiots, while the rest are set via gconf-editor, which is simply a GUI which is by definition WAY more complex and unintuitive than any text based configuration file.

I could surely use the Gnome config files via a text editor, but they are so BADLY commented (or not commented at all), that I would rather not bother.

The new XFCE 4.6 beta has the oldstyle AIO graphical control center, as well as something very similar to gconf-editor... but the latter is WAY better laid out and understandable.

So, thanks for the fish, but no Gnome for me. Maybe later, when Gnome devs will not take for granted that the DE users are noobs which will be frustrated when the desktop settings will be offered in a plate.

As it is, Gnome is plain ugly and inflexible- and that is that.

KDE 3.5.10 is STILL the best and most functional DE out there, by far... but since I'm an adventurous guy, and KDE 4.1.2 is simply unusable, even for adventurous guys, XFCE4 serves me mighty fine.

I will probably convert to Gnome- whenever all other DE's get banned. But up to then...

Edited by scarecrow

I've been a KDE user for long time, until two weeks ago I installed openSUSE with Gnome. I agree with scarecrow that KDE 3.5.10 is superb in terms of configurability and usability and I usually prefer KDE over Gnome and others.

So why did I chose Gnome this time?

For several reasons. First - Gnome is prettier and always had been. Second - KDE is in a transitional mode right now, I'm not sure how many resources are transfered to its development and maintaining while KDE4 isn't ready yet. Finally - curiosity.

I'm satisfied so far.

scarecrow would probably disagree with it being pretty as he said it's ugly. But you can't change your appearance in KDE as much as you can in Gnome. Gnome looks way different when you change icons, metacity and so on. Whereas KDE, just looks the same no matter what you change (if you ignored the colour changes and icons).

But, desktop vs desktop is always a thread that gets troll post and who thinks their desktop is better than yours. Personal preference at the end of the day. I like Gnome, others like Gnome or KDE, or XFCE or whatever. Use what you like and feel happy with.

I disagree with a lot of scarecrows comments though. Well, all of them.

I didn't mean to start a :handbags: :D

Just passing comment on what I've found with Gnome after not trying it for a long time. As Ian says one can customize this environment to your hearts content and it still works. It's lean 'n' it's working well for me. 'nuff said there.

:thumbs:

Same thing here. I wonder why he put so much hatred into his post... after all... it is only a piece of software. :unsure:

scarecrow would probably disagree with it being pretty as he said it's ugly. But you can't change your appearance in KDE as much as you can in Gnome. Gnome looks way different when you change icons, metacity and so on. Whereas KDE, just looks the same no matter what you change (if you ignored the colour changes and icons).

But, desktop vs desktop is always a thread that gets troll post and who thinks their desktop is better than yours. Personal preference at the end of the day. I like Gnome, others like Gnome or KDE, or XFCE or whatever. Use what you like and feel happy with.

+1

Gnome Control Center, if people want that;

post-6673-1224470104_thumb.png

Aye, but it does exist in Mandriva 2009.0 also, I just checked it :)

Used to look different in Ubuntu though compared to other distros but seems it's common across all now. Either that, or I was looking at completely different versions of Gnome. :unsure:

Aye, but it does exist in Mandriva 2009.0 also, I just checked it :)

Used to look different in Ubuntu though compared to other distros but seems it's common across all now. Either that, or I was looking at completely different versions of Gnome. :unsure:

Maybe it was USP (Ubuntu System Panel) you saw? - http://code.google.com/p/ubuntu-system-panel/

post-6673-1224488041_thumb.jpg

post-6673-1224488079_thumb.jpg

post-6673-1224488120_thumb.png

The changing of appearance settings is one of the reasons I detest KDE4. They have mostly been removed except for prearranged themes and appearance settings. The main thing about plasma and plasmoids is that they totally control your desktop. You don't and can't. Sure you can change a lot of settings but only about a fifth of what you used to be able to change. That overwhelming ability to change personal settings in KDE was what attracted me to KDE in the first place. The KDE4 team seem to have done their level best to do away with most of that ability.

Just one Example ....In KDE3 I have 6 desktops.The backgrounds on each desktop has it own set of slideshow pics that are set to change each pic at 5 minute ( or what ever time I want) intervals and set at random. In KDE4 I cannot do this. Only one picture and for all desktops. Sure you can add Picture Frame Widgets and have a different slide show in each of any number of frames you install but when you change desktops you find all desktops are the same so in reality they are not independent desktops at all as they are in KDE3.

I think this is the same team that is talking about or maybe already working on a KDE release for Windows. :wall: :wall: I hope some one can confirm or correct me on this particular point. If I am incorrect I will happily stand corrected.

I could go on but I won't so as not to continue ranting on again.

If KDE4 prevails in the future 2009-Spring in much the same way as it is presently, no matter how many bugs are fixed, then I too will be going Gnome if KDE3 isn't forked and continued.

Wake up Mandriva and other Linux OSs. You don't need KDE4, the KDE4 crowd needs you.

Cheers. John.