mplayer/gmplayer problem

linux_jester

I've just installed mplayer on Mandrake 9.1 which after much poking around I managed to get working along with a nice skin. My problem is that when I now try to play any movies I get a popup saying:

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Does anyone know what I should do to get gmplayer to work?

Thanks

basically what devries said to do....... myplayer can be a bugger to set up. open myplayer, right click on the mplayer screen, select preferences. under the audio & video tabs, select different drivers & try playing various video formats (ie: mpg, avi, .....) until you find the drivers that will work for you. different drivers work for different people, depending on what your audio & video set up is like, so there's no "correct" driver that i can tell you to use. also, in preferences, check the "codecs & demuxer" tab & make sure you are using the correct codecs. the codecs that work for me are "video codec family-win32/vfw video codecs" & "audio codec family-win32/direct show codecs". yours may differ, though. (providing you have the codecs installed.......do you?) if not, you can get the wincodecs some others from the myplayer site:

http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/design6/dload.html

hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks for your help. As you pointed out, by changing the selected 'Available Drivers' under the video tab of the preferences did the trick. One thing that I have noticed though is that if I try to play a movi in full screen or double the size, I get a window of the movie (which remains its original size) surrounded by black space. Is there another setting that I've missed to fix this?

Thanks once again.

That too means you have to try different video driver. Best is not too mess to much with the settings. Maybe you should consider removing it and installing it from plf. That will give you the GUI's and the codecs. It shoud work without problems. At least I don't have any.

Follow the instructions on this http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php webpage (plf is listed under '3 - add-ons'). Then use the mandrake control center to install the program (install software, choose source, choose plf choose mplayer). To remove the program: if you installed from source, as root, type ' make uninstall' in source directory. If you installed a rpm use the mcc.

Just to clarify a bit...

If you add PLF as a source as devries said, you will be able to select the all packages/by update availability option in the add software program. Select the new plf mplayer rpm (under "upgradeable") and it will update the old with the new.