Networking Issue [solved]

T0ken

This happened out of nowhere. I'd been connected wirelessly without issue ever since I installed 2009.

Today, while trying to get Kvpnc to work (which I'm still having problems with, but that's for another thread) my connection just ceased to connect to the internet.

The wireless still shows a strong signal, and I'm able to connect to the AP, but I couldn't connect to any webpage. I was able to ping my router (default gateway), my AP, another pc on the network, as well as the DNS servers given to me by my ISP, my public IP address, and public default gateway. I can even get connected to Skype! What I can't do, is ping any website (i.e., 'ping www.google.com'). I get the following returned: 'ping: unknown host www.google.com' I've also tried powercycling all my network equipment (cable modem, router, & AP).

I can find NO REASON why it can't connect. It's really frustrating. I originally thought it was just my wireless, but I plugged in ethernet and I get the same symptoms. I'm also able to connect with two other PCs, one wireless and one wired.

Could fiddling with Kvpnc have hosed my network connection? Suggestions?

Edited by T0ken

An Announcement from the official forum: Having mysterious wireless issues in 2009? try dhcpcd

Several people seem to have resolved mysterious wireless problems (driver seems to be set up right but just can't connect) by switching from dhclient to dhcpcd . You can do this in drakconnect or directly in the /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-(interfacename) file. If you try this and it works for you, please post a follow-up, noting your hardware, wireless network topography, and exact experience. thanks!

It sounds like the DNS servers are having a spot of bother. Keep trying and I think things will return to normal.

Yeah sounds like a DNS issue to me as well, but the thing is that every other host on my network is able to get connected. I even booted into Vista on the same laptop (I have a dual-boot) and I'm able to browse the internet from there. This, to me, would indicate that the problem is isolated to my Mandriva OS...

Is there anywhere inside Mandriva that I can fiddle with the DNS settings?

An Announcement from the official forum: Having mysterious wireless issues in 2009? try dhcpcd

QUOTE ("awilliamson")

Several people seem to have resolved mysterious wireless problems (driver seems to be set up right but just can't connect) by switching from dhclient to dhcpcd . You can do this in drakconnect or directly in the /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-(interfacename) file. If you try this and it works for you, please post a follow-up, noting your hardware, wireless network topography, and exact experience. thanks!

But this issue is not related to DHCP at all. This issue is also not isolated to wireless. I plug in the ethernet cord and I still cannot get to a website. It'll pull an IP address fine. I can ping other nodes on the network fine, and I can ping out to the DNS server given to me by my ISP, as well as the public IP address and public gateway. But I cannot ping any further :(

A closer look at Kpvnc would certainly be start. You could take a look at permissions within Kvpnc. Just what you would be looking for I don't know. You could also take a look in any logs that are available. Other than that I have no more suggestions, sorry.

Thanks SilverSurfer60

Here's something I've come across. I searched Google for 'DNS issue Linux' and I found a couple threads referencing the file '/etc/resolv.conf'

When I check my '/etc/resolv.conf', it's marked as "read-only", and I actually can't open it via a text editor. I looked at the properties on it, and it says that it's a symbolic link to '/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf'. When I go to that file, it show's that it's a symbolic link to '../../../etc/resolv.conf'. I have no idea what this is referencing, so I have no way to check it.

This made me curious, so I checked out another laptop that I have Mandriva on. On that laptop, the /etc/resolv.conf file isn't a symbolic link, it's just a file. So this tells me that something very screwy has gone on with my /etc/resolv.conf file on my laptop that isn't working. I'm going to try looking further into it, but I thought this info would help some of you if you're trying to help me figure this out...

OK guys, I got this fixed. I don't know what caused the original issue, but I fixed it by deleting the '/etc/resolv.conf' file (which had somehow become a symbolic link to '/etc/resovlconf/run/resolv.conf') and copying that same file from a mandriva system I have on a different laptop.

All is well. But I wonder how this happened. I wonder could Kvpnc have caused this? or was it just a coincidence that I was attempting to set that up when the issue started...