FTP Services in mdk9.1

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

Hello again, I hate to keep buggin you guys like this, but I was wondering how to set up FTP services in Mandrake. When I installed the program I installed Server services which looks like it included WWW and FTP servers. Not entirely too sure how to configure it. I have done some research on the web allready and downloaded a program called wu-ftpd. It seems to be a pretty powerful program, but being a newbie to Linux I have no idea how to install it. Also, if there is some native FTP built right into Mandrake I would prefer to use that instead. From what I understand so far, though, the FTP services simply assist an FTP program such as wu-ftpd in functioning. If some of you are worried that there is a big security leak with wu-ftpd, go to their website and read their updates. They have fixed it. All I want is basic user privelages, I am not going to host an anonymous server (that would be nutz). I have about 20 users I need to add to it, each with their own folder. Any input is definitely welcome. Thanks a bundle!

I have never set anything like this up before, but I think you can configure an FTP server using webmin. Open a terminal and su to root then type:

urpmi webmin

After that is installed, open your favorite browser and in the address bar go to http://localhost:10000 from there you will need to log in (I think as root, someone correct me if this isn't right) and you can configure all kinds of various servers from there.

Check it out and see if that helps. Like I said, I've never set up FTP services under Linux, but this should do the trick.

Guest SpaceCadet

OK. That worked. Awesome! Now I just need to figure out how to find what my IP address is and how to configure this FTP server. In Windows I use a program called ArgoSoft FTP and it allows me to create a simple user name, and set the folder which that username accesses. In the FTP setup for linux, it looks like I'm using ProFTPD. Anyone know how to use it?