View my windows partitions?

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

One big thing that I really need to be able to do is view my windows partition. I can see that there is a windows folder under /mnt in my root folder, but that folder has nothing in it. Are they in there as hidden files maybe? It says that out of 4 gigs allotted, 81% is used and about 1.3 gigs is free.

Thanks again for any help anyone can give on the subject :)

I am gonna guess your using kde and have viewed files with konqueror before. Konq opens up and shows you the contents of your home folder (kinda like the My Docs folder in that other OS). If you click on the little red folder immediately to the left of your files it will show your complete root directy.

Browse to the /mnt/windows folder... and there ya be. If not, then we will need to look at that fstab file found in /etc.

Guest SpaceCadet

ok gotcha. Windows folder is in there, but no folders listed. Is there anything I have to do to bring up those folders?

[EDITED by bvc. In another thread.....]

ok update on the windows partition, I figured out the File Manager - Super User Node allows me to view all my folders cuz I have to enter the admin password. All this I figured out after entering SU in terminal (I just figured out that SU means Super User) and entering my password allowed me to view the contents of the windows folder once I changed DIR to it. Well I moved "mv" my trance directory to a subdir in my home dir so.. I figured out some important stuff. Aren't ya proud :)

ok gotcha.  Windows folder is in there, but no folders listed.  Is there anything I have to do to bring up those folders?

It sounds like maybe the windows partition isn't actually mounted. Without yet looking at your /etc/fstab, you might try opening up a terminal and doing:

mount /mnt/windows

If that gives you an error about permissions, you may need to try this as root, depending on the settings in fstab. After mounting the partition, try viewing it again in Konqueror.

If that doesn't work, post to us the contents of your /etc/fstab file, and we'll go from there.

Try reading this faq...

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4960

To summarize, the file system on linux requires a partition to be mounted into a specific location on the already mounted file system.

E.g.

/

/mnt

-->/win_c

The mount in this case would go into win_c (or any folder really). So, the folder win_c is there ahead of time and serves as the location for the mount before it happens. Afterwards, when you look inside, you will see the file system continue into the mounted windowns partition as if it was all one big hard drive. Different approach to what windows does with C:, D: so on.

Read the FAQ and read the other faq's under installation too.