kernel issues - 2009 on Acer Aspire 5003

m0loch

So...did an upgrade from 2008.1 to 2009 - it was pretty much a disaster but no sense going into that....

main issue is that with the removal of the laptop specific kernel from 2009 - the desktop kernel didn't work so well. First, the graphical init stuff didn't work, but not a big deal, I could live with it. More importantly are two issues that I would like to resolve if anyone knows how.

1) touchpad scrolling didn't work at all with the desktop kernel - root cause was the ol' "can't access shared memory" problem

2) amarok wouldn't play - no idea what that was all about, it would load music just fine and the sound system worked just fine (mpg123 for example would play mp3s ) -

I simply booted to a previously working kernel and everything seems to be working. Surely there's more that's broken with the new desktop kernel, and I guess I could get the kernel source and compile my own - man, it's been a long time since I've had to do that to make things work. bring back the laptop kernel!

Desktop kernel only allows up to 1GB of ram, also, which is why I use another kernel. On my laptop I have kernel-server, because I need to use 4GB of ram. Generally kernel-desktop seems only good for low-end machines, so I tend to recommend using something else and stick with that as it works for you.

Desktop kernel only allows up to 1GB of ram, also, which is why I use another kernel.

Not quite true. kernel-desktop586 only supports less than 1GB RAM (usually 870-900MB detected). kernel-desktop supports less than 4GB RAM (usually 3-4GB detected, depending on hardware) - same as kernel-laptop.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Howto/Man...ferent_flavours

If 32 bit, then you'll not see the full 4GB - like you mentioned, generally 3GB to 3.5GB but no more, unless PAE is enabled, and then you'll just slow your machine down rather than make use of the memory properly. I have 64 bit anyway, which is why the performance is better for me and I see the full 4GB without PAE.

So...did an upgrade from 2008.1 to 2009 - it was pretty much a disaster but no sense going into that....

how did you perform your upgrade?

DVD or URPMI ?

I have the same model w/ 2008.1 PWP but havent upraded my subscription (yet)

i wasnt ploanning on doing so yet, but maybe i need to

j

David: that's not quite true either. :) In 2009, desktop586 supports up to 4GB, same as desktop.

Time to edit the wiki then... :juggle:

The different flavours

kernel-desktop586 & kernel-desktop586-latest

This kernel is compiled for desktop use, single or multiple i586 processor(s)/core(s) and less than 1GB RAM (usually 870-900MB detected), using voluntary preempt, CFS cpu scheduler and cfq i/o scheduler. It has HZ=1000, and tickless mode enabled.

This kernel relies on in-kernel smp alternatives to switch between up & smp mode depending on detected hardware. To force the kernel to boot in single processor mode, use the "nosmp" boot parameter.

This package exists only in the i586 branch. Installing the *-latest rpm ensures you always have the latest kernel-desktop586 installed.

kernel-desktop & kernel-desktop-latest

This kernel is compiled for desktop use, single or multiple i686/x86_64 processor(s)/core(s) and less than 4GB RAM (usually 3-4GB detected, depending on hardware) using voluntary preempt, CFS cpu scheduler and cfq i/o scheduler. It has HZ=1000, and tickless mode enabled.

This kernel relies on in-kernel smp alternatives to switch between up & smp mode depending on detected hardware. To force the kernel to boot in single processor mode, use the "nosmp" boot parameter.

Note that the memory reservation does not apply to the x86_64 branch (unless you hit a hardware restriction).

This package exists both in i586 and x86_64 branch. Installing the *-latest rpm ensures you always have the latest kernel-desktop installed.