Is it safe to compile this for someone??

iphitus

I know someone who is running mdk9.1.

He can't compile his modem driver as he doesn't have his kernel sources installed. Is it save for me to compile it for him?

eg on my computer

./configure &&

make

then tar.gz the directory so he can tar -zxvf it and make install??

We are running the same kernel, the default 9.1 kernel.

The modem driver is on my site,

http://iphitus.tk > linux software > modem driver

James

I don't think it will work unless he installs the libraries.

Im not an expert but the make install has a lot to do like the depmod's if your compiling as a loadable module.

I think the kernel source dependencies include the tools for make etc. but Im not sure. The fact its a module makes the difference (I'm guessing).

Also he'd need to have the same library version's unless you do a lot of handediting on the makefile. Unless he has downloaded the updates or you haven't then this might figure. I'm presuming a lot, like he hasn't if his modem isn't working :D

Having said all that it might.... like theoretically it should but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Ive compiled other stuff thats worked and other stuff thats involved a lot of messing about afterwards. Ultimately a lot depends on both the source and the libraries. If the source uses relative files then its OK but if its set-up so configure finds the absolute directory and that happens to be /home/james/modem/source/ then he needs the same location or you need to make sure it uses relative addresses.

I'd definately be interested to know though....

You can hedge your bets and learn how to make RPM's then at least he'd get any deps??

i'd think you'd be ok as long as he has the the same kernel, just keep track if there were any oddbally -devel's you needed to install because he'll need to install the binaries most likely...no harm in trying, though!

I'm no expert but from my experience...

-> ./configure will get the specific info from your comp (like CPU types etc.) to optimise the software for your system, so unless your friend's comp is the same, don't try that (it depends on the SW though, but I think a HW driver will do that). I think the default configuration should be fine.

-> why don't you build a RPM for him ? :)

./configure will get some specifics, basically looking for libraries. as long as the libs the program requires are the same version on your sys as are on his it should be fine. and as long as you build it for i586 (which should be the default unless you tweaked stuff) you don't have to worry about it optimizing for your proc/hardware.

i would try using checkinstall to build an RPM, personally...

I would do like they suggested and make an rpm using checkinstall. Then he could uninstall it just like any other rpm. Some sources have a 'make uninstall' routine in the Makefile if you look there, others don't.

I don't see any reason why he couldn't just do a make install after you've done make for him. As far as I know, make install just copies everything to the right directories. Of course it won't be optimized for his P4, but that's really no big deal, unless it is to him.