Google Search

AussieJohn

Has anyone noticed that mandrivas updated Firefox in 2008-Spring and in the new 2009.official is using Ask as its search engine instead of Google ???.

I have repeatedly tried it, and compared to Google it is a piece of garbage. Sure it comes up with search results but most seem to be for online retail sites. I went through pages and pages of Ask results that still didn't locate what I knew I had located readily in the past using Google.

You can ASK but why waste your time ?.

In the Mandriva-spring Firefox there is also no button anywhere that I can see to enable search for Add-ons, Extensions or Themes. Without it I cannot hope to find an extension for Google to get rid of this useless Ask, in particular.

What is going on Mandriva ??. Is it a case that I selected Ask without knowing it ???. I really don't think so. Or has Firefox done a deal with Ask and dropped Google ??. I would be very surprised if that were the case since most of mozillas money comes from Google.

What do fellow MUB members think ???.

Cheers. John.

Mandriva did a deal with Ask. (I suppose they need the money.) I kept my profile from previous installations and so Google is still my default. I have a down arrow beside the icon at the beginning of the search bar and by clicking on it I can choose from among the search engines that I have enabled. One of the options is "Manage Search Options" which allows you to add or delete search engines. There is also the Tools > Add-ons option in the firefox main menu.

Jim

I think I may have manually set mine to the default under about:config - either that or I had copied my .mozilla profile over - I can't remember which now :)

browser.search.defaultenginename=Google
browser.search.selectedEngine=google.co.uk

Thank you all for your input.

Naughty Naughty Naughty Mandriva. If Ask made a deal then it would explain why most of the search results are about online retailers, something I, and I am sure a lot of other people can well do without.

I did your suggestion Ian and I am back to normal again.

Cheers. John.

Yes but the Google search engine works as a true search engine plus Google make their money from advertising. Ask does not seem to operate as a true search engine, just a way of pulling up webpages for its clients.

That is a huge difference.

The Mandriva bug and security fixes for Firefox are delivered just as quick. By all means do it your way but you are really just wasting your time and since it is your time then that is your choice.

Cheers. John.

Greg, you could be right. I am using 2008-Spring and haven't been back into 2009 for a while. I will check out your point when I go back into it.

Reiver, I think you probably have a good point there. Would be hard to imagine anything worse. :D

Thanks and cheers. John.